The Average American Gardener

journey11

Garden Master
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
8,470
Reaction score
4,226
Points
397
Location
WV, Zone 6B
Thought you guys might want to check out this neat infographic I came across today with stats on the avg. American home gardener. I especially like the bottom right-hand quarter where it states the avg. return on investment! Although, I failed to keep up with V's project to track the numbers last year, when I look at my stocked pantry and compare that to my grocery bill...I'd say that's probably about right!

:tools
Happy Gardening!
 

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
16,473
Reaction score
17,409
Points
457
Location
North Idaho 48th parallel
Well, nice to know I'm normal.... or at least average.
At least in some things. I spent weeeelll over 70 bucks, although some of that was stuff I can use next year, like the pvc for tunnels, and I also have some seed of course.
I seem to be growing the average crops too, 'cept I noticed they didn't have potatoes. Now I feel obligated to break out of the mundane and grow something wildly unaverage next year.....
 

journey11

Garden Master
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
8,470
Reaction score
4,226
Points
397
Location
WV, Zone 6B
thistlebloom said:
Now I feel obligated to break out of the mundane and grow something wildly unaverage next year.....
LOL, I know! Here at TEG, we strive for excellence! :lol: I think that must explain my obsession with heirloom tomatoes...and squash of every imaginable shape and color.

I think I must have spent around $120 this year, but more than half of that was for a huge roll of agribon fabric to protect my cabbage and broccoli. I could have spent a 1/10th of that and just gotten a bottle of Sevin, I guess. :p But some investments are definitely worth it to me.

My garden size is bigger than the average too, 2500 sq. ft., three long raised beds and a new plot I just made for potatoes at 12'x20'...plus assorted fruit trees and berry patches. So I guess if you mitigate my expenses against the square footage of growing space, I actually spent less than the average.

The more seed types I learn to save, the more money I'll save too! I really want to learn this year how to hand pollinate and bag squash/pumpkins/cukes/etc.
 

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
16,473
Reaction score
17,409
Points
457
Location
North Idaho 48th parallel
journey11 said:
thistlebloom said:
Now I feel obligated to break out of the mundane and grow something wildly unaverage next year.....
LOL, I know! Here at TEG, we strive for excellence! :lol: I think that must explain my obsession with heirloom tomatoes...and squash of every imaginable shape and color.

I think I must have spent around $120 this year, but more than half of that was for a huge roll of agribon fabric to protect my cabbage and broccoli. I could have spent a 1/10th of that and just gotten a bottle of Sevin, I guess. :p But some investments are definitely worth it to me.

My garden size is bigger than the average too, 2500 sq. ft., three long raised beds and a new plot I just made for potatoes at 12'x20'...plus assorted fruit trees and berry patches. So I guess if you mitigate my expenses against the square footage of growing space, I actually spent less than the average.

The more seed types I learn to save, the more money I'll save too! I really want to learn this year how to hand pollinate and bag squash/pumpkins/cukes/etc.
Yes, I am definitely inspired by all of you ambitious gardeners on TEG!
I'm a most horrible record keeper, but I am trying to change that and have kept a journal of my seed starting and planting out dates and varieties. I noticed even that paltry attempt has slipped a bit, as I forgot to record my potato planting date.
I've got all of my receipts for the garden, I'm just too scared to add them up.
 

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Points
54
Location
Spiro, Ok
journey11 said:
thistlebloom said:
Now I feel obligated to break out of the mundane and grow something wildly unaverage next year.....
LOL, I know! Here at TEG, we strive for excellence! :lol: I think that must explain my obsession with heirloom tomatoes...and squash of every imaginable shape and color.

I think I must have spent around $120 this year, but more than half of that was for a huge roll of agribon fabric to protect my cabbage and broccoli. I could have spent a 1/10th of that and just gotten a bottle of Sevin, I guess. :p But some investments are definitely worth it to me.

My garden size is bigger than the average too, 2500 sq. ft., three long raised beds and a new plot I just made for potatoes at 12'x20'...plus assorted fruit trees and berry patches. So I guess if you mitigate my expenses against the square footage of growing space, I actually spent less than the average.

The more seed types I learn to save, the more money I'll save too! I
really want to learn this year how to hand pollinate and bag
squash/pumpkins/cukes/etc.
Our garden to is a little above average at 2000sf. We already had all the fencing so that saved, my brother gave me a few cattle panels to get my 6x12 hoop green house build for next year and I just finished a compost tumbler, our biggest expense will be all of the 55gal plastic drums we will need to buy for our containers.
My dw and I both have very bad backs, so we need everything up so the the planting and harvest will be as easy as possible..also by
Having containers we can control the soil better as we have clay,and you all no what that means.
We don't eat a great variety of veggies so we grow a lot of the same items and fill the freezer, we also have chickens and rabbits and maybe a goat later in the year. All should help the bottom line for food expense

Don :watering
 

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
277
Reaction score
4
Points
84
Location
SW Michigan
thistlebloom said:
Yes, I am definitely inspired by all of you ambitious gardeners on TEG!
I'm a most horrible record keeper, but I am trying to change that and have kept a journal of my seed starting and planting out dates and varieties. I noticed even that paltry attempt has slipped a bit, as I forgot to record my potato planting date.
I've got all of my receipts for the garden, I'm just too scared to add them up.
I'm trying to save those receipts and keep better records for this year too! I haven't added everything up yet, either. :p I should be ok as far as the veggies go....but I spent a lot on flower seed this year. The plan is to sell cut flowers and some extra herbs and veggies if all goes well....I'm hoping to get my money back....and then some! :D We shall see..... :fl
 

journey11

Garden Master
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
8,470
Reaction score
4,226
Points
397
Location
WV, Zone 6B
Hi Don, those are some really great ideas you have there. I've seen cattle panels used for a lot of things, like chicken tractors and even trellises, but I bet they would provide great support and structure for a greenhouse. Got my wheels turning here... ;) Those 55 gal. drums are so useful too. I have a couple my brother gave me back when he had a pressure washing business. He told me that car washes are a good place to check for them too. They get their soap in them.

cwhit, hope you do well with your cut flowers. Bet you will have to keep up with all those receipts...hopefully you'll have a nice profit to report to the IRS! :cool:
 

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Points
54
Location
Spiro, Ok
journey11 said:
cwhit, hope you do well with your cut flowers. Bet you will have to keep up with all those receipts...hopefully you'll have a nice profit to report to the IRS! :cool:
And I though we were getting along good, you just had to bring up those 3 letters that spread fear in a poor boys profits :barnie

I will post some pics when I get my posting power back. I'm still new over here.


Don :watering
 

vfem

Garden Addicted
Joined
Aug 10, 2008
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
39
Points
242
Location
Fuquay, NC
Oh Journey! I LOVE that quick view. It makes quick sense and gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Not to mention with an average only 5 hours work time I feel the time investment is wonderful! Too bad they didn't have listed the health benefits for the average gardener as well.

That project from last year went along well for months... sadly, I lost track and stopped weighing in like I should have. I lost count of eggs, and thing just got in the way between my business and family to keep up. However, I want to say by mid-July when I started to fall behind I was already in the black making up my costs and starting to see my grocery savings instantly. I guess once I knew I was good on costs, I just kind of became more comfortable with what I was doing.
 
Top