The Beast got a new home```

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my DH's vehicle got wrecked years ago, he had to buy a "just to get by" truck. He ended up buying an '87 Dodge Ram 50, long bed. He has done about every repair imaginable to it over the years, including putting a new head in this past fall.
It's ugly, has no radio or AC, is a standard transmission, has rust and God knows what kind of funk.
But he loves it, and can't sell it. It's got 240,000 miles on it. Various people have offered to buy it.
He uses it more than his other truck, or his car. I think I'll bury him in it. (When the time comes):D

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
collector ~ when you put sparkplug cables, plugs, points and condencer in ~ unless the distributor cap has brass inserts ~ replace it ~ if it has the brass ~ it can be cleaned up ``` If you' r as good with trucks ~ as with construction ~ that baby's gona purrrrrrr```

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy it has four on the floor, first gear is granny low. Someone cut a hole in the dash for a radio at some point in its life, other than that it in good shape. Part of the side emblems on both sides is missing probably going to have to buy them new if I can't find find them somewhere.

@valley ranch , I want to do a full tuneup to see if it will run better, if not the motor going to get a rebuild. Also still running 6 volt system, I want to convert to 12 volt, electronic ignition to get rid of points -condenser, and have it run better in general. The rims and dog dish hubcaps as well as the whitewall tires are new, and the brakes were just replaced by the guy I bought it from. The other rims and full size hubcaps are in the bed along with what's left of rear bumper. I just want to get it running good and weekend driver, it has a great patina on it that I don't want to change so have to live with some of the flaws on the body. No serious rust so not a bad find really. Worst thing about it is the suspension is non existent, so it will have to be restored.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a new electoral system 6 volt ( ebay) have not installed. my nephew wants me to change to a 12 volt what is advantage of 12 volt ?
The advantage is + 6more volts lol.
I think the main reason is today everything auto is 12 volt and much easier to get, think about trying to charge a cell phone or install a stereo system. Also more engine cranking power, and more efficient fuel burning which adds more power/ longer engine life/increased mileage. To switch from 6v to 12v requires changing all light bulbs, starter, distributer, adding alternator, and some stuff I am not thinking of right now for sure like wire harness and gauges.
If/when It gets done I will have a professional do it for sure. I would want it to look like it was factory done, not a bunch of tape balls and such under the hood lol.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
6 volts to 12 volts ~ cranks faster ~ much better ~ ```

However 6 volts a good coil and you fuel efficiency is just as good ~ fires as hot ``` As for More power / longer engine life/ increased mileage ~ Collector ~ I haven't seen or heard of anyone getting that with the switch to 12 volts ```

Your wire harness is good ~ I've seen the same starter used /distributer as well`` ` Adding an aternator or 12 generator ~ yes```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
A tune up ~ that's good ~ Nice hot coil ~ good ignition parts~ points and condenser ~ Echlin or better ~ plugs Champion or AC ~ don't be sent to NKG or Bosch~ new cables ~ distributor cap with brass inserts not Aluminum ~ and rotor``` Pour 1 oz of Marvel Oil in each plug hole when you put her to sleep~ next morning ~ it'll smoke a bit ~ but if you rings were stuck ~ and you compression rings might be ~ it should free them up ~ run some in your fuel ~ clean up your valves and upper cylinder ```

Uncle Sam ran it in our fighter engines WWII``` If your valves are good ~ that baby will run sweet ~ you know ~ check the timing and set if necessary ```

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@valley ranch , I have already added some to the gas I will try putting it in spark plug holes, it will help for sure. I have been using mystery oil in fuel sys and adding to oil in all vehicles and small engines here for long time. My grandpa swore by it and used it frequently. I also have a 1971 F100 that is 12volt but still running the points and condenser situation, I want to switch it over also, but much easier cause it already 12volt. The 71 just got tuned up last summer and by fall the points were already sticking, gotta get away from that system all together. Oh and for what it worth the F100 market is fixing to explode soon and the prices are going to go way up. Prices have doubled in the last couple years and I think they will continue that way. That is for farm fresh all the way to top notch restorations, hot rods, and daily drivers.

Latest posts