The beautiful artichoke

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those artichoke fields are common in the castroville area where they grow. They remind me of pineapple fields. My neighbor 2 houses down always plants them. But she doesn't harvest them cause she likes them as flowers. I wouldn't mind growing them except that they are pretty large plants.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are borderline in my zone, depends on what kind of winter we get but I know several people who are growing them successfully, I've never tried myself, but I sure like eating them, lemon juice and melted butter :drool.

Annette

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must admit to thinking that you were looking at your artichoke through rose-tinted glasses, Cat'.

But, that is a good picture of a fine example of the more important part of the plant. Having them in your location sounds challenging!

Fields of artichokes in California, however, have to be some of the strangest scenery I've ever come across.

Steve
Mom probably thought i was a beautiful child, too ;)
Funny. I think the whole plant is so beautiful. Nothing seems to eat the leaves, they are just green perfection. And they make a lovely flower if you forget to eat them in time.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew plenty of artichokes over the years.
enough to eat them almost every day as well as give away grocery bags full to friends and relatives. Every year the artichoke stems near and on the choke was covered head to tail with aphids. :rant

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew plenty of artichokes over the years.
enough to eat them almost every day as well as give away grocery bags full to friends and relatives. Every year the artichoke stems near and on the choke was covered head to tail with aphids. :rant
I have never had any pests. I only get enough for a treat now and then. I am not exactly in artichoke country. I would sure love such abundance.

Latest posts