The BEST way to expand your garden!

littlelemon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am a lazy gardener, and I tried something last fall that I am thrilled to report on as a success!

I like to expand my garden a little bit each year, I do it by hand, double digging and I hate it. Last fall when I cleaned out the chicken coop (I only do a BIG clean twice a year) I spread all the litter over the grass next to my garden where I wanted to expand it. Then I laid large, flattened cardboard boxes over the litter, overlapping oneanother so no weeds or grass could come up. Then I spread more litter on top of the boxes.

Yesterday scraped off the old litter and pulled up what was left of the boxes. Not much was left, they had mostly rotted away. Underneath was rich soil, and NO GRASS. The grass had been completely killed, there were a few clumps of roots here and there, but the soil was completely ready to be planted in!

I couldn't believe it! Now I can plant in a bed of soil that I spend absolutely no work preparing.

I am so ecstatic that I had to share. Even if you don't have manure to put on the grass you could still lay down boxes over the winter and kill your grass. I know that manure helped though, I tell you, there were so many earthworms when I pulled up those boxes, I know that soil is rich.

Off to plant!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I *highly* recommend this method -- I have about 400 sq ft of it going at the moment, in various stages. If you don't have mulch or manure to put over the cardboard, you need a lot of *something* heavy to weight it down. First, so it does not take wing in a strong breeze :) and second so that it doesn't shift around and expose strips of grass between the 'seams'.

Congrats,

Pat

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I wonder if I could just use the cardboard and mulch around my fruit trees, berry bushes?? We have that lovely crabgrass that seems to take over everything in the orchard/vineyard..

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would be a little cautious, personally, although I would love to hear others' experiences. Myself, when I've tried to use a heavy cardboard mulch around trees or bushes, I've almost invariably ended up with mushrooms (ear fungi, actually, if anyone cares) sprouting up all over. This does *not* happen when I use the cardboard-with-mulch-cover in areas that do NOT have woody plant roots. I do not know that this harms the woody plants but it makes me go Hmmm. Also, the soil underneath can get rather dry and the small trees/bushes I've done it around have not really thrived, as a rule. Not died, but they just seem kinda unhappy and stalled-out.

If you are going to try, I would suggest making a regular, 'naked' mulched area for a foot or two right around the shrub/tree trunk, with no mulch right up against the trunk itself of course, and use cardboard only for an outer circle. Anyhow that's what I do now. Too soon to report any results.

Looking forward to hearing what others have observed,

Pat

Latest posts