The blizzard of January27th, 2015

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's very obvious that you had a heckuva lotta wind, Cat'.

All that snow but almost none on your roof!

Wind howling under the eaves, weren't it? No wonder the kitties were layin' low.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
One great benefit of the wind was the clear roof. I guess I would rather shovel and snow blow through drifts than have to rake a roof. Hurricane like winds and worse on nearby Cape Cod.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 glad you are doing ok. The system that blew by here and dumped 8 inches here is the one that converged with your storm. :( I get ticked when we get about 4 or 5 inches and no one does anything to help get us out. I would still be stuck if we got that much snow.
I love your house though.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So it was a fantastic clear 30 degree day. Our clean up has gone well. My horses do not like being in the barn. I feed them when I put them in so they go in with out any trouble. So today was the day for my favorite ride in deep snow. I need to put them both in the barn when I ride, feed them and then take the one out that I plant to ride. Let's just say the old timers are not over worked. So I went out to get them at 3:00, clicked their bucket signaling time to eat. And they did not come in from their pasture. Mind you the snow is very deep. So I trudged out to get them, got with in 10 feet of them, and they took off at full speed toward the inner pasture. I trudged to close the gate to have them close to the barn and they ran back to the big pasture. They were having a blast, but I wanted my ride. In fact they were having so much fun a few neighbors stopped to watch them racing through the snow. (No, no pictures, I was planning to ride.) So I stood their like a fool and decided to again began the trek to catch a horse. Again 10 feet away they took off at full tilt. By now, I am hot and tired. We went through this one more time and I gave up. So my question is this . Are horses psychic? A could almost hear them giggling between themselves. Yea, she thinks she's going to get a ride.....
So once dark arrived they were dutifully standing near the gate waiting for their dinner in the barn. No ride today. But it was quite a site. More snow tonight and again this weekend.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do have you well trained. And they got even with you for being cooped up in the barn so long. Dad always said snow was ideal for breaking horses. The drifts tired them out faster than an open field. It sounded like your horses would disprove dad's theory.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet they were beautiful racing through the snow Cat!

One of my favorite sights is of my neighbors two mares racing through their snowy pasture, tails and heads high, snorting and blowing as I walk my little runt stallion by. It's one of his favorite sights too and he struts and calls to them. He's a pretty funny spectacle as he draws all 8 hands of himself up. His self image is himself as Walter Farleys Black Stallion.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do have you well trained. And they got even with you for being cooped up in the barn so long. Dad always said snow was ideal for breaking horses. The drifts tired them out faster than an open field. It sounded like your horses would disprove dad's theory.
That's why I love to ride in the snow. They thought they were back on the track today.

Latest posts