The Brugs are opening!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been watching these with much anticipation after learning exactly what kind of plants they are (thanks Ron!!). So tonight doing the evening chores I was stopped in my tracks first by the SMELL - OMG, these things smell divine! Then the blooms....just fantastic. Anyway, I couldn't wait until morning to take pics....lol!

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh what a lovely color.

Be sure and cut them before your first frost. From a 3ft cane I can usually get about 3 to 4 good starts. Just stick them in a vase of water and they will root.

You can also clear the cane of all leaves and it will ship easily. Then the person getting them just has to stick them in water and they will sprout.

Ron

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe they only open at night? Are they similar/related to angel trumpets? (I don't know the technical name, but these are white with a touch of violet.)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I believe they only open at night? Are they similar/related to angel trumpets? (I don't know the technical name, but these are white with a touch of violet.)
Until a couple weeks ago I didn't even know what this plant was but Greensage45 was happy to ID it for me. It is indeed a Brugmansia or "Angel Trumpet". They come in assorted colors. And from everything I've seen they bloom day and night with blooms lasting several days....

And lemme tell ya - they smell as heavenly as their name! The air is just filled with their scent.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a huge brugmansia. Mine is completely covered in blooms. It is amazing looking. I will try to get a picture and put it up.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

The bloom cycle on these is long, each bloom will last for quite a long time, and you will notice the difference in the first-opened blooms to the newest; the older the bloom gets the more it changes color.

I have some that start white and when they are complete they are yellow.

Don't fret if you walk up and cannot smell them. These flowers only put off the fragrance as the sun sets, this way they can attract the most moths and bats which are the pollinators that are needed. Most bees ignore them.

The seeds, if they form, grow very easily and the little plants can reach full height in one growing season. The Brugmansia seed is in a pod that forms, and the seeds themselves look like pieces of cork material. Don't do the float test on Brug seeds because they all float, just like corks. Nothing to do but pop them into moist warm soil.

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Hi,

The bloom cycle on these is long, each bloom will last for quite a long time, and you will notice the difference in the first-opened blooms to the newest; the older the bloom gets the more it changes color.
I have some that start white and when they are complete they are yellow.

Don't fret if you walk up and cannot smell them. These flowers only put off the fragrance as the sun sets, this way they can attract the most moths and bats which are the pollinators that are needed. Most bees ignore them.

The seeds, if they form, grow very easily and the little plants can reach full height in one growing season. The Brugmansia seed is in a pod that forms, and the seeds themselves look like pieces of cork material. Don't do the float test on Brug seeds because they all float, just like corks. Nothing to do but pop them into moist warm soil.

Ron
I noticed that this morning. The blooms are a light peach color this morning.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ahhhhh Peach! How cool is that, so yours opens yellow (almost a mustard) and then changes to peach! I was thinking to myself that yours probably change to a dark orange.

I bet you will take more pictures! ...Please! :bow

Ron

Latest posts