The Chance to Smell a Horse

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well you pick 'em Steve, we just elaborate on them. :D

I have never found cleaning sheaths to be a sweet smelling job either, Ducks must have an unusual gelding there...

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not being a horse person, didn't know about "bean" removal. Another reason to never own a horse......

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use copious amounts of KY jelly to soften the crud up, applied with a turkey vaster the day before the event. Try being that person on line at the drugstore with an armload of KY........

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well you pick 'em Steve, we just elaborate on them. :D

I have never found cleaning sheaths to be a sweet smelling job either, Ducks must have an unusual gelding there...
I'm so afraid to ask but what is sheath? :oops: I sure hope I don't embarrass my self too much. :hide
Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Baymule, I have a secret about cleaning sheaths. First, I only clean them when they need it. Second, I never spend more than two minutes TOPS cleaning the sheath, so my geldings know I'm not going to keep digging. Third, the first time I clean the sheath of a new gelding, I smack him on the flank and say, "NO!" then pause and then continue. It doesn't take long, my geldings end up dropping down for me to clean their sheaths and they aren't annoyed by it. It's a LOT like someone who sees gunk by your eye and wants to clean it for you. If it's your mom, you might let her do it, but you DON'T want anybody lingering there until they are satisfied. It never hurts a gelding/stallion to have some mess in their sheath. Mine just are pretty clean, pretty much all of the time, no fights.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary a sheath has to do with the male parts of a horse. We are talking about geldings, which means their testicles have been removed, so that leaves the other male part. And it is enclosed in a fold of skin, it gets dirty, if not cleaned, it can lead to infection. Uric salts form in the urethra and can plug things up, impeding urine flow. And yes, those lumps have to be dug out of the end of the horse's pee-pee. Learn something new every day, don't you?

@ducks4you my gelding, Joe, has to have the cruddiest sheath and accompanying male part I have ever dealt with. He is a blue eyed cremello, pink skin, white hair, only pigment is his blue eyes. I clean his sheath when he stands three legged, head down, relaxed, and letting it all hang out. One look and I know what I have to do. It looks like he drug it through a box of corn flakes. I don't know what he does to get it so gunky. He knows what's coming when the KY, bucket of warm water and latex gloves come. out. I know he is cussing me in horse language.