The Chicken Stalker

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used to have a cat named Punkinhead. He just wandered up out of the woods when he was about 8 weeks old, chased the dogs off the porch and took up housekeeping. He ADORED the chickens. If he wasn't on the porch, he was at the coop.
View attachment 4928
The day the chicks moved out of the brooder and into the coop
View attachment 4929
Many of his days were spent upside down watching the chickens
Your cat is gorgeous, he looks nearly identical to mine.
N76b8n_6OESEAttykX36oG86nLI5_wauCM0EHTCYhm36pGxS2zsC95q2GppC-LSHYmRT5EGg9TRf24IbPg2boXUFHhbYoFEkjjXF_KcN1z6J=s0-d-e1-ft

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like "Mocha Bubbles" too. More than just one or the other.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm on old softie at heart. I was tempted to see what would happen if the kitten did pounce on a full grown hen. Goldie (the hen) is probably the biggest and meanest of the group and was the one in the kittens sights. I figured I would save the kitten a lot of pain and grief by getting her out of there. I didn't want to keep the cat because of Sadie Jane (Border Collie/Blue Heeler). She has a history of attacking any animals that come in the yard, without reservation. She once went after a full grown and very large German Shepherd (which really upset me because I was going to get to keep the shepherd if it worked out).
At first, it was touch and go with Sadie Jane, and we came close to having to give up on the kitten experiment. But, Sadie has allowed "Bubbles the Cat" to become part of the herd. She still refuses to let the cat share her dog food, and growls very angrily if the cat comes near her when she is eating. We have to lock the cat up when we feed the dog, because Bubbles just loves to irritate the dog at feeding time. If we didn't separate them, I'm sure it would lead to bloodshed.
They are even trying to play together somewhat. Of course it's hard for a 60+ pound, extremely hyper, excitable herd dog to try to play gently with a 3 pound kitten. Sadie once picked the kitten up by the head and started to trot off with her. I scolded her (gently of course) and she put the kitten down. Fortunately, Bubbles was freaked out but completely unharmed.
Overall though, the kitten has done well. She went from a skinny, starving, chicken stalking flea bag with an severely infected lip, to a healthy, spoiled, lap of luxury primadonna. Sometimes, life is good.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hey MontyJ what part of WVA do you live in. i lived in or around Buckhannon for about 17 years. loved that state and most of the people there.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
so you're almost from ohio, lol or at least surrounded by it. hope youall have a decent winter

Latest posts