The Evergreen Tomato Plants (LOL) PICS

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pruning tomatoes for better production really only help in the first stages of fruiting and has little effect on quality of the fruit after it's set.

Reducing water, however, will sweeten most varieties since the plant goes into a sort of "quick I need to stop growing and save my fruit" mode.

JME.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yay! Photobucket has fixed the DNS problem. I can see the pics now.

Those are some nice tomatoes.

What varieties are you growing?

Remember that larger beefsteaks (like those beauties right there) will not usually ripen all the way on the vine because they are so big. The tops may still be a little green when you pick them. If you leave them on the vine too long they might start to rot.

And by the looks of them they're going to start turning red very soon. They're start to turn a nice pale white then they move from there.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Yay! Photobucket has fixed the DNS problem. I can see the pics now.

Those are some nice tomatoes.

What varieties are you growing?
Thanks, OCF. Glad photobucket stopped being a butthole. LOL

I think those beefsteaks MAY be Brandywine. Does that sound right? I remember I really wanted some because I like the name.

I also got celebrity and early girl. And a boy's name with a B (either bradly or bradford)

I could swear I got some cherry toms (with 100 in the name) but I can't find it anywhere! I'm afraid it might be lost under there!

AND I got this ROMA!! My first to turn!! :ya (just picked today)

Roma.jpg

I swear it was in the deepest, most jungly place in the tomato patch. I had to crawl and stick my arm waaayyyyy under there (with the BUGS!) to fetch it out. I just barely saw the little orange flashing at me through the foliage.

That is why I want to prune them, btw. More for my benefit than the plants. :)

Cassandra

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought that looked like a Brandywine. Great tasting tomato.

If between those two than it's a Bradley, a really beautiful variety. It's a perfect balance of sweet and acidic. Be prepared for a big harvest all at once since this variety seems to be semi-determinate. It is a really good variety for canning too!

I'm guessing Super Sweet 100? It's a pretty good hybrid with a ton of fruit that are true to it's name!

What's the Roma? Amish Gold? Orange Banana? It looks delicious!

Good luck with your tomatoes!

BackSwampGirl

Sprout
Reaction score
:) Yall may think this is crazy.But I am from SE North Carolina.We always sucker our tomatoes.We go between the strongest stems and there is a sucker in there,right many of them.On the tomatoe plants.If you will do this you will begin to see some big tomatoes.If you have ever worked in tobacco you will know what I am talking about.Just pinch them out.And give them some time.Good luck,,,Sandra,NC

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
I'm guessing Super Sweet 100? It's a pretty good hybrid with a ton of fruit that are true to it's name!

What's the Roma? Amish Gold? Orange Banana? It looks delicious!

Good luck with your tomatoes!
At last! A a couple of them are starting to turn. I will try to take some pics when I get home this evening.

I don't know what kind of Roma that is. But they aren't an orange or yellow variety, I don't think. I'm sure it will turn very red if I leave it on long enough. I looked for the little picture of it stuck in the dirt, but it is gone, so it may remain a mystery. :)

I picked one Brandywine that had started to turn. It's turning out very nice in a bowl of other ripe tomatoes that someone else had given me.

But I notice it has a deep crevas in it. It looks more like a scar than a wound. There is a hole in the side of the tomato, but no flesh is exposed, it's all covered with skin. Irregularly shaped and not quite big enough to poke a pencil in.

Is that a worm scar? Or do they sometimes grow funny like that?

Cassandra

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have been having similar issues, in the last week though they have been turning red