The Great Backyard Bird Count

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I almost forgot to mention it, but the GBBC is going on right now! If you have a feeder or go out hiking or whatever, you can report the number of species you see to Cornell University and they use the info to track the size of bird populations and their distribution. It's a neat little citizen-scientist project you can be a part of and all the accumulated data gives them a snapshot of the health of bird populations worldwide. It goes on from Feb. 14th-17th this year and you can do only one day, any or all the days if you want, and it takes only a minimum of 15 minutes per day to log what you see.

Read more here: http://gbbc.birdcount.org/

Handy checklist of common species for your area here: http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/checklist

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I remember you doing this last year Journey! Very interesting. I looked at the site briefly, will have to read in more detail so I can participate. We usually have a wide variety of birds at the feeders, but lately it's been house finches and chickadees almost exclusively.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My "backyard" bird count, 20 obnoxious house sparrows. My cross country ski today - raven, goldeneyes, dippers, KINGFISHER (yay) and...pileated woodpecker, woohoo!

I have started using Cornell's ebird site to keep track of my counts this year, which is exciting! I've been a birdwatcher casually for many years, but never kept track of how many species i see, it will be interesting.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Journey! I have Mom counting birds too, Dad is happy ..;) ... and she is also counting squirrels (whatever makes ya happy ma :D )

At breakfast this morning in my backyard ... Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Hairy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, Northern Flicker, a pair of Cardinals, and 3 big loud Crows... who later in the day beat up on a hawk... :)

While out on an errand we got to see a Snowy Owl hunting over a field! Only the second time I have seen one so that was cool! I'm sure he's feeling right at home with this weather we're having!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhhhh snowy owl. I have seen them a few times here in Montana, they are AMAZING. And its such an interesting owl, hunting in the daytime.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhhhh snowy owl. I have seen them a few times here in Montana, they are AMAZING. And its such an interesting owl, hunting in the daytime.

They are SO amazing! ...and as usual, no camera!

Last winter DH called me right after he left for work and asked me what the owl was that had the big white face... :rolleyes:... I said WHAT?! ...it was 4:30 AM! He said, there is one sitting on the mailbox! He said the lights hit him and they just sat there staring at each other. Of course by the time I looked it was gone.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL...counting squirrels. :D

The GBBC data so far said that the snowy owls have been spotted in 20 states this year. You may get to enjoy seeing them more often. :cool:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has rained for the last 2 days ... at 7:20 am this morning, there were 23 seagulls and 3 crows out on the asphalt of our cul de sac feasting on the worms. :rolleyes:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bob, you sound as enthusiastic as i was to report my house sparrows. :/ i know people who are really into gulls, and apparently our local landfill gets some cool/rare ones, but i just really cant muster up much enthusiasm for them!!

Latest posts