The Great Cardboard Experiment

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
HeChicken, is that your garden in your avatar? I can't remember if I've asked you before? It sure looks big and beautiful.

Mary

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some of our ideas just don't work out quite like we imagine.... I tried using old carpeting in my "back 40" area. Worked great, until it started rotting. You should see what happens when those unraveling threads get into the mower. Dh has invented some new swear words! Always up for an experiment, you just never know.

Haha, Lesa, that sounds like something I would try... Have you ever seen those pictures where people have made a beautiful edging or border along a bed with GLASS BOTTLES?!?! That's one of those "experiments" someone thought would be a good idea...but I think would be a horrible idea. I'm certainly not always precise when digging out weeds with a shovel or trowel, I just think what a terrible mess all that broken glass would make. But obviously somebody thought it was a good idea!!

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's so funny because my DH also suggested carpet. I will be sure to tell him your experience with it!

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use cardboard boxes for my paths - keeps the mud to a minimum and the weeds down. I have a Glecoma problem (don't worry - that's an invasive aka Gill-over-Ground and Ground Ivy) and that will runner many feet under the cardboard to reach my beds. Tough plant!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heather, I have been saving blue bottles to do just that! See, I am always up for an experiment...I really want to try a bottle border, for at least a small section. I am such a sucker for cobalt blue. I'll let you know if I learn any new swear words!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, my sister gets bottles from the recycle bin at the landfill. She has all sorts of garden art planned with bottles.

I brought my moms bottle tree home. I'm slowly collecting bottles for it, hoping to set it up in my picket garden this summer.

oops! sorry for the change of subject!

Latest posts