The Great Pumpkin Delivered Candy!

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Flowerbug, I love sweets! Just saw a fund raiser for See's candy Nuts and Chews which are my favorite for $29 one pound box. So tempted. But then again the #2 box is $48 such a deal! haha. All for a good cause.

Mary
Go for it!
My own favorites are these: https://www.candynation.com/gummy-red-and-black-nonpareil-berries
and I plan to indulge before long.

Right now I have this collection for the little ghosties and goblins, most of which I will end up stuck with. (I don't get as many trick-or-treators as we used to.) The candy corn is for myself. I'm not a chocolate fan, at least not in large quantities, although the Ghirardelli caramel bar is also for me.
HalloweenCandy2023.JPG

As one old creaker to another, I can relate, Steve.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Indoor Mile was on the agenda for the day but it didn't need to happen. Instead, the carport fridge (large capacity with its tiny freezer) was emptied and some things were collected from the backyard garden – mostly bok choy. Now we have 4, 48 quart coolers filled and on deck. They will be moved thru the back door & into the utility room at bedtime. Moving things including 4 trips up and down the basement stairs was a 30 minute workout ;).

Screenshot_20231025_164656_Threads.jpg
Somewhat unusual weather, certainly after last week's performance. It began with light rain well before sunup. By late morning, it had changed to light snow, which fell for about 3 hours. The temperature had dropped to just one degree Fahrenheit above freezing and stayed there through those hours. But, everything was a little warmer than the air and the snow melted, melted, melted, until it was gone. It is now after sundown and 2°f above freezing :). The forecast is for 23°f (-5°C) by morning. It was time to move veggies because what was in that carport fridge would have been frozen by morning.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
all those mini individually wrapped candies pretty much turned me off a lot of them and also i got a lot pickier about the candy quality and decided it all tasted rather too sweet and not really like chocolate any longer. it's the new chocolate coating that's too waxy and slimy to my tongue and it's just a big blah now... even my favorite candy bars that would always get me in year's past i just go "meh..." these days. and that does help my diet out.

what does not help my diet out is Mom making homemade chocolate frosting with butter and boxes of graham crackers or large bars of good chocolate but i'm holding fairly steady. when measuring weight it is always a good idea to wear the same clothes and at about the same time of the day and week so you're not throwing yourself off too much.

and with the new hearing aids can you hear yourself walking? you can get a shuffle and a boogie going ... :)

When I was a kid I thought I didn't like chocolate. Turns out I love chocolate, just not the waxy kind. Hersheys is especially gross.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a short list of ones I think are pretty decent (some of these are probably available by you.)
Cote d' Or - owned by Kraft, but still operates in Belgium, and still adheres to Europeans chocolate standard. I like the single noir (dark) best, but since that is almost impossible to find (not even sure they still make it) you usually have to choose between the white (Blanc) the Milk (Lait) and the double dark (Noir de Noir) They tend to come in either boxes of tiny bars called mignonettes, or double decker tall ones that look like tall bricks.

Chequesset chocolate - I have a soft spot for the Twenty Boat Buttered Rum and Sconset Brown Butter and Sage bars (again, company skews a bit towards more darks than milks).

Vosges - I used to like the Mo's bacon bar (chocolate and bacon actually pair together well.)

There were a few others whose names escape me. I remember a Swiss company that divided their milk bars by the Canton the milk was taken from. Another Swiss company that offered a white bar where the milk had actually been caramelized into basically dulce de leche and so on.

I also love Fry's Turkish Delight bars from Cadbury in Britain, but you have to REALLY like the taste of roses to like those.
Actually, the Great Pumpkin may have smiled on me too. In the process of cleaning my room I have already found two full bags of the gin and tonic flavored gummi bears I thought I was out of. And I'm fairly sure that, as I get to the other side, I'll find where all of my tins of pine candies went to.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll put a vote in for Trader Joe's Pound Plus chocolate bars as they are also Belgian and at a really good price. we used to get the almond dark chocolate bars but in recent years Mom has just wanted plain ol milk chocolate which is fine with me. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zexercise.jpg

Nah, I didn't go for any run :D.

The Indoor Mile at a good pace with Booker T & the MG's. The new hearing aids work like earbuds! I can listen to music much better ... altho I haven't tried those ballads that used to mean so much to me -- don't want to be disappointed.

I didn't raise my arms after my flu shot thru the 30 minutes and stopped doing it 15 minutes into the exercise after that day running the tiller. I'm not sure if I can call it a cardio exercise if I'm doing it that way. Should have checked with the pulse but it's okay. Those are not experiences that I have every week and I really need that walk daily not the recommended 5x/week. It's a plus , I suppose ;).

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did not get one single trick-or-treater so I am stuck with massive quantities of candy: twix because I love caramel, mounds because I love coconut, and nestle's crunch because I like rice krispies (despite the fact that I dislike the chocolate coatings on these candies).

The past few years we had several sets of 2 kids each come to the door, the first years accompanied by a parent, then the last years the older kids accompanying their younger siblings. I'm guessing these younger kids outgrew trick-or-treating, so they all stopped coming. Kids grow up I guess, sigh.

I used to give out little toys along with candy, so I think next year I'll stock up on toys and just buy a single bag of candies. That way if an unexpected crowd of youngsters cleans me out of candy bars, I'll have the toys in reserve to hand out. (Plus if no one shows, I can put away the toy stash until next year.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SPedigrees i can tell you right now that after eating a half dozen Hershy kisses a few months ago that i don't want to repeat that experience ever again. i love chocolate but that stuff just isn't good any more so i've become a chocolate snob. we have a neighbor to the north (he's about a half mile from us and there's a field there so we don't normally chat over the fence at all. in fact, he's never stopped over for chatting in forever so i have to stop and chat with him if we talk. he gives out a lot of candy each Halloween. not only does he give out a lot he gives out full size candy bars. he's got a line of cars going through his place each year. we're down here and Mom's like leave the lights off we don't want anyone to think we're giving out candy and i'm like, ok Mom but nobody is going to come anyways when you got the whale down the street giving out chum to all the seagulls. they're not going to come here anyways. and we're both really good with that because we have good chocolate but we don't have enough to get us until Christmas so we gotta score another order... and we both will get rather anxious if we get down to three bars (which is 1.5 kilos of chocolate)... i'm kinda nervous thinking about it...

p.s which is kinda funny, but i never closed my aside... ) <-- that should do it...

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Taking the day off because of all the exercise I had in the garden yesterday.

Finally reached the bottom of the leftover Halloween candy and ..

. what the heck?!

zmini.jpg

Latest posts