The Little Greenhouse That Could.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The tomatoes are looking good Chris...Those are some nice roots for the size of the tomato..How many diff. varieties are you growing? What kind are you growing for canning?
Last season I canned 50 quarts of tomatoes and about 15 pints of sauce..I am hoping to get even more this year to can..

That is one beautiful rose!

Yes, hot peppers take longer to germinate..Try to keep them in the warmest spot to grow that you can. My peppers are transpalnted now and are still tiny, I planted the seed at the end of January!! they go out in the GH during the day as long as the temps are above 70..

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
barefootgardener said:
The tomatoes are looking good Chris...Those are some nice roots for the size of the tomato..How many diff. varieties are you growing? What kind are you growing for canning?
Last season I canned 50 quarts of tomatoes and about 15 pints of sauce..I am hoping to get even more this year to can..

That is one beautiful rose!

Yes, hot peppers take longer to germinate..Try to keep them in the warmest spot to grow that you can. My peppers are transpalnted now and are still tiny, I planted the seed at the end of January!! they go out in the GH during the day as long as the temps are above 70..
We grow Roma for a main crop and this year we are growing Campbell 33 and Better Boy as a secondary crop.
All will be used as a sauce but the Campbell and the Better Boy will also be used for sandwiches and salads.
This year I planted 8 dozen Roma, 2 dozen Campbell 33 and 1 dozen Better Boy.

Along with the 12 dozen tomatoes I also planted (in the greenhouse) --

Peppers -
Bell Boy 3 doz.
Super Shepperd 3 doz.

Eggplant -
Epic 1 doz.

Cabbage-
Flat Dutch 7 doz.
Golden Acre 3 doz.

And odd and end flowers.

Chris

brounii

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Chris.....I'm a newbie and I'm in the process of building our very first greenhouse ever. It will be a 12'x14' hoop style greenhouse. My question is this: I noticed in your Jackson Perkins rose picture here that you have a dual fan, we have that exact type fan not being used. Would that be a good fan to use in the green house to keep things vented? Where do you place yours? Thanks in advance.

Leigh Anne (brounii)

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
brounii said:
Hi Chris.....I'm a newbie and I'm in the process of building our very first greenhouse ever. It will be a 12'x14' hoop style greenhouse. My question is this: I noticed in your Jackson Perkins rose picture here that you have a dual fan, we have that exact type fan not being used. Would that be a good fan to use in the green house to keep things vented? Where do you place yours? Thanks in advance.

Leigh Anne (brounii)
That fan was used just to move some air until I got my door vent in.
If you are trying to vent a 12 x 14 Quonset you may need a little more power.
A 12" fan with 1 or 2 18" shutters should work.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
quick update on some of the plants,
Tomatoes -
7054_dsc_0037.jpg
7054_dsc_0038.jpg

Peppers -
7054_dsc_0039.jpg

7054_dsc_0040.jpg

Coleus -
7054_dsc_0041.jpg

Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts
7054_dsc_0042.jpg

Chris

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW!!! All of those look absolutely perfect! You are going to have one slammin" garden this summer! Can't wait to see your harvest! I just planted my tomato seeds yesterday...

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
WOW!!! All of those look absolutely perfect! You are going to have one slammin" garden this summer! Can't wait to see your harvest! I just planted my tomato seeds yesterday...
Thank You,
I hope to start putting plants in the ground the first of May ( they will have to be covered but I have plenty of milk jugs ;) ) if not the fist of May then on May 30th.

Chris

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I am in zone 4, and plant my tomatoes in the garden at the end of May. Is your frost date really that late? I always feel like I am so far behind!

Latest posts