The Little Greenhouse That Could.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks good, do you transplant those tomato plants into another container before going out to the garden? if so how how big do you let them get before moving to larger containers? The reason I ask is ours are a little behind yours and I am not sure when to do it!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
Looks good, do you transplant those tomato plants into another container before going out to the garden? if so how how big do you let them get before moving to larger containers? The reason I ask is ours are a little behind yours and I am not sure when to do it!
I used to trans plant but I tend not to anymore. I just direct seed right in the 4 or 6 packs.

When I was still at my parents house we (my Dad and I) would plant in plug trays and when they just get there true leaves we would start transplanting them into 6 packs and 4 inch pots after transplanting we would hit them with a "starter" solution of fertilizer to help with transplant shock. Now after about 30 years of transplanting about 40 to 50 dozen plants a year I gave up on the transplanting as much as I can.. :D

*Note* -----
The "starter" solution of fertilizer we used was our regular water soluble fertilizer (Peters 20-20-20) at 1/2 strength.

Chris

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
So you plant them into the garden from those 4-6 packs, we still have a month and a half before we can plant in the garden. Do you think ours will get rootbound in that amount of time?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
So you plant them into the garden from those 4-6 packs, we still have a month and a half before we can plant in the garden. Do you think ours will get rootbound in that amount of time?
So you plant them into the garden from those 4-6 packs,
Correct, unless I fell that they are to cramped in the 4/6 packs they will stay right in them packs till they go in the ground (around May 30th). I have had some plants (Tomatoes mainly) that will get a little on the cramped side but they seem to do alright.

I tend to plant tomatoes in the 4 packs and most of the others vegetables in 6 pack that way the tomatoes (the faster growing) will have a bit more room to grow.
I will try to get a size on the 4 pack tomorrow when I go out to water.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chris09 said:
Collector said:
So you plant them into the garden from those 4-6 packs,
Correct, unless I fell that they are to cramped in the 4/6 packs they will stay right in them packs till they go in the ground (around May 30th). I have had some plants (Tomatoes mainly) that will get a little on the cramped side but they seem to do alright.

I tend to plant tomatoes in the 4 packs and most of the others vegetables in 6 pack that way the tomatoes (the faster growing) will have a bit more room to grow.
I will try to get a size on the 4 pack tomorrow when I go out to water.

Chris
The 4 packs are 1 1/2 x 2 1/2

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
New plant in the greenhouse.
I received my new rose in the mail yesterday, it is a JP (Jackson Perkins) Enchanted Evening Floribunda Rose.
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/39673/
dsc0025ep.jpg
[/url]

Chris

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted ours in the four paks also, I think we should be okay then. Do you think we should fertilize them with the half strength fertilizer when they start getting the true leaves?
Chis, what do you know about peppers? I planted 3 kinds of them,california wonders, yellow banana, and cayenne. all are up and growing except the cayenne not one of them has sprouted! Maybe they take longer to germinate Im not sure.
I like the rose it looks healthy, what will it look like when it blooms?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
I planted ours in the four paks also, I think we should be okay then. Do you think we should fertilize them with the half strength fertilizer when they start getting the true leaves?
Chis, what do you know about peppers? I planted 3 kinds of them,california wonders, yellow banana, and cayenne. all are up and growing except the cayenne not one of them has sprouted! Maybe they take longer to germinate Im not sure.
I like the rose it looks healthy, what will it look like when it blooms?
Do you think we should fertilize them with the half strength fertilizer when they start getting the true leaves?
That's up to you, I like the results I get when I do it plant seem to almost double within that week.
On the Peppers my hot peppers always took a little longer than my sweets to break ground. How long have they been in the ground?

The picture is from J.P. (Jackson Perkins) website.
7054_39673.jpg

Chris

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
All of our seeds were planted on March 13th. The tomatoes were up in 4 days and the peppers have been up since about day 8 or 9 . all but the cayennes
I guess I will just watch them and see what happens!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was transplanting a tomato for a future experiment and thought I post some pictures of the tomato. These tomatoes were planted (as seeds) on March 6th and was breaking ground on the 12th of March so they are about 2 weeks old.
Picture shows a overall size of 5 inches and a root length of 3 inches.
7054_dsc_0026.jpg

Plant height of 2 inches.
7054_dsc_a0027.jpg

All potted up in a 4 inch pot.
7054_dsc_a0029.jpg

(Sorry about the bad first 2 pictures my son was playing with the camera and I didn't notices till the third picture :rolleyes:)

Chris

Latest posts