the Living Wall growing system

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This system is being used in Paris apartments & restaurants in Italy. It looks perfect for people living in condos or handicapped gardeners. Wouldn't it be great for nursing homes, to somehow make a "green space"? Hmmm....maybe even on a coop wall or shed wall?
Outdoor version
Indoor version

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Uh, the display picture looks relatively freshly planted... those hen and chicks aren't going to stay all nice and symmetrical like that for real long, growing on their sides. And for any non-succulents I think it would be a constant serious challenge to keep them all watered properly (between small growing areas and the difficulty of getting water to soak in everywhere evenly, drip irrigation system or not). People have come up with lotsa schemes like this over the years, but there is generally a *reason* you do not see them all everywhere.

So, ah, color me skeptical ;)

If you want *outdoors* wall-type growing space, at least, those hanging grow bags they make aren't too bad as long as you use well chosen non perennial plants and are extra careful with watering (tyhe are even thirstier than regular hanging baskets).

Pat, having seen plenty of gizmos come and go ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing about containers is that they are almost by definition movable.

I see no reason, from the pictures, why these vertical containers can't be started horizontally and perhaps in better light situations and moved to what may be a more difficult environment.

I've long intended to do something like this in my yard. The northside of the buildings (house, garage, greenhouse) have a common assortment of shade plants. There's a couple clematis vines, some bleeding hearts, and ferns - that sort of things.

What I'd like to see is a few more annuals for some real BRIGHTNESS!! Since, I'm growing lots of annuals each year - it is really possible. But you know how it would be, if I put some annual out there and wait for it to flower - it might not and would probably turn out a scraggly nothing.

So, I could plant the annuals in containers and about twice (or thrice :) as many as I'd need and move them to these shady spots when they are fully-charged with sunlight and ready to burst into bloom. One clever (it seems to me :p way to do this is to sink empty pots into the ground and drop the potted flowering annuals into them. The last things to go out there could be the evergreens that would stay thru the Winter.

Of course, the same principles could be applied indoors but I wonder what DW would think about me cutting holes in the living room floor???

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, that is a good point, Steve, that you could use 'em the same way you'd grow houseplants or annuals in a brighter location to temporarily swap in to a dimmer spot (... although for indoor use, unless you have a VERY VERY bright spot, you'd need probably 3 or 4 to rotate through in order to keep them even marginally presentable)....

...but if one is going to do that, one needn't pay sixty buckeroonies for some plastic whatsit. Just do it the old fashioned way: bunge some sphagnum-over-soil onto a backing board with netting or fishing line and plant thru that, laying the thing down flat at watering time. For indoor use, it could fit into a waterproofed mount with a drip tray.

OTOH the 'just do it' method isn't so much a product that a company can SELL :>

<shrug>

Pat

Latest posts