The Moose!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
With bear and mountain lions do you take a gun when riding ?

No, not in the places I usually ride.

If you ever see a cat or a bear it's because they didn't care if they were seen.
I'm sure there have been many times they were watching us and we didn't know of their presence.
A horse will let you know if something's in the trees if they can smell it.

Why are moose protected ? have they been over hunted ?

The numbers were low due to a variety of things 50 years ago, but have been on the rise.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's part of the whole 'homesteading' thing isn't it? Learning when it's required to interact with the 'indigenous' livestock and when to let them be. I'd be willing to bet that everyone of us have been visited by wild creatures WAY more than we realize. Mostly they do no lasting damage to the things we call important - often, not even enough for us to notice.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's part of the whole 'homesteading' thing isn't it? Learning when it's required to interact with the 'indigenous' livestock and when to let them be. I'd be willing to bet that everyone of us have been visited by wild creatures WAY more than we realize. Mostly they do no lasting damage to the things we call important - often, not even enough for us to notice.

Sometimes they are even beneficial. I wonder how many mice and rats snakes have eaten that I never knew about. Then all the things that eat insects and grubs. If people set up game cams to see what comes around they may be surprised, especially what bigger animals show up.

I think it is a balance, you don't want to throw it too far out of whack. I'll still eliminate every raccoon and groundhog I can though and take my chances. Skunks are kind of high on that list too. I don't need those surprises after dark.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a bobcat in White Plains living in airport woods. He was not very smart. he let himself be seen by to many people. Man down the street shot him. I dont think he caused any trouble and was killed just to brag about

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
More than half the world's vertebrates have disappeared since 1970 - World Wildlife Fund for Nature

A lot is caused by habitat loss. Developed nations seem to have officials and media that like to point to the developing world on these stories but it's everyone's world.

I've wondered about our air as a part of this environment. Our most recent air quality alert didn't really have anything to do with the summer wildfires. I'm sure, it was mostly pollution from vehicles.

What's it like to be active and in that air all the time?! I wonder about the "sensitive groups" when it comes to our nearby wildfire.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a bobcat in White Plains living in airport woods. He was not very smart. he let himself be seen by to many people. Man down the street shot him. I dont think he caused any trouble and was killed just to brag about
Lucky for him, he is not my neighbor. He is an idiot. I’m with @Ridgerunner , groundhogs, raccoons better beware. I leave a coyote-unless they are after our dog-alone as they thin raccoons, groundhogs, etc.

Latest posts