The most important thing you can know about your farm - the boundaries!

Gaz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all

I wrote this piece because of a hassle I had with my last farm. We were told that the fences were along the property line - later on we found that was not the case and all hell broke out :(

So here is my lessons for everyone who has a property:

http://www.almostafarmer.com/know-your-farm-boundaries/

It is SO IMPORTANT to know where your boundaries are!

Gaz
www.almostafarmer.com

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in East Texas, in the early 1900's they used a "witness tree". A witness tree had an X hacked into it that left a scar forever. The deeds recorded specified so many feet north (or whatever direction) of the witness tree. My grandfather had a witness tree on his land that he had in the family since the 1920's. I saw it as a youngster. He sold the land when I was in my 30's, as far as I know the witness tree is still there, witness to the corner of the land.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Illinois and Indiana, we use surveys. I take it the rest of the country doesn't?

Before I give good money for anything, I want to clearly know what I'm buying and from whom.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In KY, the deed read X acres more or less. So glad to be rid of that property and state!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's some of those like that around here too. So why can't they just survey the darn property and correct the deed? Sounds simple to me..... More or less? Priced by the acre? Really? :barnie

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So listen to my story. We have 13 acres of land. 3/4 of an acre was cut out for the daughter of the former owner to build a house. So our land rather surrounds the property. Mom and daughter sold their homes. The neighbors are not very good neighbors. Big problem with vicious dogs on our land frightening all of us. Our children were occasional friends. They played here. I preferred they not be around the mentally ill husband-now long gone. We always allowed the kids to play on our land even though they were often rotten to our kids. We did not argue-just kept away from each other. The woman decided to put up a fence. We were thrilled and hoped it would keep their bad dogs home. In surveying her land she discovered that the dirt path we used to drive into our veggie garden crossed a corner of her land by about 15 feet. She and her son went our and built a stone wall across the opening so we could not drive in. Not a visually necessary or pleasing stone wall, just a 6 foot long wall to keep us off the access to our garden, you know , a spite fence. So that was the end of her children playing on our 13 acres. She should have thought that one through. She was shocked when I banned them all from my property. I still love her fence. So we had to cut down trees and build a new garden access. We actually love it and it allowed more light into the garden. Of course all the neighbors complained about us cutting down OUR trees. It never ceases to amaze me that people think they should have something to say about what we do with out property. It is a rampant problem in my town. I guess it happens everywhere.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My BIL bought a 68 acre farm just down the road from us last winter. He's having it surveyed before he improves the road (on right of way) or puts up fences. Gonna cost him about $1000...more or less. I had mine surveyed last fall, a simple 4 cornered, unobstructed line with the original pins still in place. Cost me $250. And that was the cheapest rate I was quoted. I think it is the cost that puts people off, but you never know, it could cost you more in the long run if you don't.

ETA: Nothing more aggravating than the way families split up a piece of property in the most ridiculous configurations! Then deaths, divorces, etc. happen and things get sold off and the new owners inherit some miserable situations, such as Cat's. Our cistern is fed by the neighbor's barn. So long as we're lucky enough to have cool neighbors, it has been ok.

Reactions: Gaz

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We bought what we thought was 20 acres in Cal. ( now 20 years ago) There was a blacktop road and a concrete bridge over a creek right in front of the property. The deed of trust described our property lines showing the road and bridge as the N boundary. Then 18 years ago, the next University of Cal campus was to be built on 5,000 acres just a mile down this road via a sale of the land. So, the State did a satelite survey of the area and found that we owned from 8' to 20' at an angle on the other side of the road and bridge that was surveyed and built by the County in 1928. Then came the environmental impact study which found that were about a dozen Indian burial graves scatered on 3 locations on that 5,000 acre property. The local tribe members ( numbering a couple dozen members) objected so the end result was ... the campus was moved 50 +/- miles North to Merced, Cal. . So, we built a horse breeding facility vs. a student apartment housing complex on our land and lost a not so small fortune in property values not to mention income. :rant

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Part of our neighbors carport was over the property line on our lot. When their oak tree crashed into our house in hurricane Ike, it conveniently took out their carport too. Problem solved.

Knowing your property lines and a GOOD FENCE makes for better neighbors.

Latest posts