The Northern Lights - when they come back.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Turns out, the Aurora was back in the sky above some North American communities on October 2nd & 8th.

I wouldn't have been able to see it - northern Michigan, Quebec, Ontario - I'm not sure where else. Right now, it is expected to be in much of Scandinavia and Greenland. Oh, and the far north of Canada, too . . .

How do I know? Well, I don't for sure but this is where I find what the NOAA people are thinking about the Northern Lights:

Ovation Aurora Forecast (link)

There are more things on space weather on the NOAA webpages but it is difficult to figure out. What you need to do on the map linked above is look for the "red pencil line" and the "green haze. Yeah, I don't know why they've done it like that but it is just about as tho' they've said, "Well, we think it will show up about here." Good enuf for me ;).

Steve
who will try to remember to check that page when the evening sky is clear

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because of the solar flare . . .

I am bumping this up again.

The media stories have an excited tone.

The US Naval Observatory says nothing about the Northern Lights but they may have posted their "Sky This Week" prior to the solar flare. EarthSky.org just quotes SpaceWeather.com and talks about "northern latitudes."

You might want to monitor those 2 websites. . . I don't know! Just don't want you to miss them!

Steve
under a 60% likelihood of precip with the first bands of snow just arriving now . . .

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Clouds here too, that is a bummer. Been a long time since i've seen the northern lights.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have never seen them, but would like to.
I think that should go on my list.

479. see the northern lights
480. see the southern lights (is there such a thing?)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You generally have to get so close to the poles . . .

The Aurora Australis = the Southern Lights. I am not sure if they would even be often seen in that area where Smart Red claims she's from: Patagonia (as tho' there are many people tramping around there). Probably not often in New Zealand or Tasmania are the Southern Lights seen.

Scandinavia has quite a few people to watch them. Those countries are really far north! Sure it's cold there but there are those ocean currents bringing warmth from the waters around Africa. Imagine, if those currents are altered for some reason - what would happen to Oslo at nearly 60° North latitude!

In Norway there are 5 million people in an area about 3/4th the size of Canada's Northwest Territories, where there are 40,000. In Yellowknife, it is -12°f right now. In Oslo, it is 30°.

Okay, they look like very fast moving clouds, with some color. Then! The clouds disappear and you are looking at the dark sky, sparkling with stars! Then! The clouds are back, almost dancing!

;) Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen them from my back deck a few times--maybe 3 times. About 6 years ago they were pretty intense. The conditions must have been just right.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only seen them twice from my house, both times I went out with the dogs before bed, and there they were, an unexpected surprise!

Latest posts