The Pond Thread

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
They're Carp ~ bones ~ you know ~ but shouldn't be oily ``` They grew to bout a foot and 1/2 at a lake ~ we and the folks ~ would stay at each summer ~ the were pretty good ~ Papa ~ cut them like a loaf of bread before frying ~ they seemed great ~ when I was a kid ```

So raw fish bones are a no-no? Guess it's good they don't like fish then!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
And that Sacred Lotus ~ you planted from seed ~ it grows a Pod ~ that can be eaten ~ I think ~ I've eaten them ~ canned from an eastern store ~ not much taste ~ but ```

View attachment 25743

No, it's a different lotus, one that only flowers, no pods or seeds. Didn't know that before I bought it. =/

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
No ~ Carp are bony ~ have bones that are ~ uncomfortable ~ for a person to eat ~ when cut into Filet ~ but when ~ Cut as Father ~ cut down from the dorsal ~ they are quite good ```

But you planted ~ Lotus Seed ~ didn't you ~ then they should seed ~ no ```

Then ~ I think ~ I would get the proper one ~ that bears fruit ```

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the yellows if you lived closer I would buy any you wanted gone. I did meet a lady though CL she is closing down a 90 year old aunts house. Aunt has 3 ponds was told I could have free any fish I wanted. Woman was afraid to put on CL because some one might want for feeder.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
No ~ Carp are bony ~ have bones that are ~ uncomfortable ~ for a person to eat ~ when cut into Filet ~ but when ~ Cut as Father ~ cut down from the dorsal ~ they are quite good ```

But you planted ~ Lotus Seed ~ didn't you ~ then they should seed ~ no ```

Then ~ I think ~ I would get the proper one ~ that bears fruit ```

It's called a hybrid. Like a horse and donkey breeding, offspring has the parts, but nothing can come of it. Same with some plants.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the yellows if you lived closer I would buy any you wanted gone. I did meet a lady though CL she is closing down a 90 year old aunts house. Aunt has 3 ponds was told I could have free any fish I wanted. Woman was afraid to put on CL because some one might want for feeder.

I run into a lot of people just pretending to be interested. =/
I move the ones no one wants to the mud pond after a week or two in holding, where the resident heron gets a good meal. Nice looking ones I put back in my pond to grow some more and try selling later in the fall or the following year.
Can't even give away fish or plants sometimes.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That high white one in the aquarium is sharp!!!

Great pictures by the way I'm glad to see they are doing so well.

So are the yellows. When we had a pond we put some strawberry pots on their side anywhere we had fish to help give the smaller fish a place to hide. It helped quite a bit and they learned to hide in it. Not everybody made it but I would restock what I lost and eventually had enough "street smart" fish to keep the pond well stocked. Then we moved.......no pond at the new house.

Any butterfly koi? Or sarasa comets in there? They don't get as big as koi but will develop some REAL long flowing fins like a butterfly koi. They have nice orange and white colors/markings too.

Glad the pond is doing so well. One of these years I'm going to have one again. I struggle every spring not to buy a 1/2 wine barrel, a pre-formed liner and do a small deck pond. Do a strong blooming lily, do a fountain/watering can feature to circulate the water. Id love to have fish in it but I don't want to have to set up a means to house them in the fall.

35fa51f8944a30f88b3d9e1d03ab7580.jpg

This is what I want and instead of water lettuce like in this picture I'd do a dwarf lily.

Latest posts