The Pond Thread

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was a long hiatus!
A few plants were bought, some failed to grow or were too much work, others stuck around.
The big rock waterfall started to chip apart. :( Need to figure out how to replaster it....b*stered is horribly heavy, so it'd be easier to fix it than move it to trash or decor elsewhere. It's actually the top piece of two, the bottom piece ended up impossible to move because of its excessive weight, so I don't have it.

Some fish were lost. Most notably OS Cupcake, the tricolor fantail goldfish. Lost her this year, the other two fantails are still doing well, but I think I'll move them into the house for winters from now on. The shubunkin goldfish, that was a rescue from 2010, I believe it is dead, as I haven't seen it this year and don't recall seeing it last year either. My original koi are all still alive and well. Some koi offspring I kept are as large as parents. Other year I bought 3 koi, 3in long, they are a good size now. Bought 3 more last year, I think it was, 2 survived winter. Kept some more offspring, had more color, finally! Helped that I netted the pond, had a Kingfisher eating all the colorful ones, from wee fry to 3in fingerlings. Wouldn't of minded him culling for me, if only he had been eating the dark, dull ones. =/
There's been 7-10 medium to large dark mutts that keep eluding capture, finally caught most of those so that my keepers can get all the food to grow big and happy.
I'll be selling some of the colorful keepers, hopefully this fall, if they do manage to grow enough to make a final decision on them.

Have a large pale yellow I need to catch and sell. Have an original, named Mr Banana, that it looks just like it, so don't need two of them. Also have a medium one similar to Mr Emerald, to catch and sell.
Haven't been able to buy a larger liner and expand the pond, like I wanted to do last year, too much time and money going into my sheep flock.

Looks like 2015 is when the first 3 were added and in this thread's first post! So I'll post updated pics of them.

2015-
3koi.jpg

2018-
20180426_115237.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think this one is the tri color, but not sure. Still looking at other pics to remember if it's the same fish or if I bought another similar one....idk....
20180426_115254.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mutts, 2 yellow kept on purpose.
20180426_121633.jpg

Little orange n black, bumblebee, bought the other year. If you happen to see a small, mostly red fish, with white fins, that's a goldfish, kept back, but will catch and sell it.
20180426_121836.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice ~ looks great to have ~ do the fish eat the tad pols ```

Those fish are Carp ~ I think ~ have you ever eaten any ~ that you don't get to know personally ```

I've heard they are greasy.
Tried to feed them to the LGDs, but they don't want anything to do with them. =/ Maybe if I seared them a bit first? Idk.

They eat some fry, eggs and tadpoles, but thousands of eggs are laid and hatch. I catch the toads n frogs and toss them out to the creek, hoping something eats them out there.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
They're Carp ~ bones ~ you know ~ but shouldn't be oily ``` They grew to bout a foot and 1/2 at a lake ~ we and the folks ~ would stay at each summer ~ the were pretty good ~ Papa ~ cut them like a loaf of bread before frying ~ they seemed great ~ when I was a kid ```

Latest posts