The roundup resistant super weeds... the studies continue

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course you'd complain because the work became 'hard' again.
Now that is funny. Come try a day on the farm and tell me it's easy. You have no concept or idea what agriculture is besides driving by and seeing someone in a tractor spraying.

I'm done. YOU are the one complaining with no knowledge except what you read in some biased mag that is ............. I've maintained from the beginning, DO IT YOUR WAY. If you want AG your way, PAY FOR THE EXTRA EXPENSES. The ball is in your court. You are the one complaining about the way we are doing our job--not that you do any of it, just want to sit back and TELL us how to do it. Rubber meet road.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
So what did they control it with in the past? What ever it was, use it again, end of problem. Did read where they used ALS chemicals and it developed resistance to that series of chemicals.

In 1980, people said, Herbicide resistance is never going to be a problem.
What "people" is he talking about? No one in Agriculture thought that. Glysophates were never potrayed as the forever chemical. Other than that, good article explaining how glysophates work and why they are looking into this current "weed".
The farm machinery such as row cultivators they used to control it in the past has mostly been retired. They would have to dig it back out and refurbish it or replace it with new machinery from countries that still do it the old way.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, we still have the equipment. Might need a little maintance but the real problem is the price of steel, $3.50 diesel, lost carbon units from using tillage equipment, and we still have the weeds in the rows causing nutrient tie ups and yield loss.

Ag has been down that road, dead end that doesn't work.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As for 'of course you'd complain the work became hard again'. That was a generalization of anyone who'd have to go back to the hard way, anyone would complain. So its part of the argument.

You need to stop taking everything personal and attacking people all the time. If you feel like you are being 'gone after' or picked up its usually these threads that get everyone excited. Again, we all have views on the topic, but you need to stop telling everyone they're wrong and you're right.

Use this opportunity to share information from your side or views rather then take the time to bash everyone who doesn't agree.

Again, you don't know me, so please stop passing judgement. You don't know my background, and what I've been involved in.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now I am not a big round up fan. mostly cause I don't want to pay for it and ideologiacally I am also not a fan

But I will be buying some this year. Apparently the soil line is too high on my house and it covers the foundation. So I need to pull back all the mulch that I had against the house for 6 inches so I can treat the house for termites. Now if i dont use round up I will be overrunn with weeds in that 6 inches that has no much. Much to my dismay. But having weeds is not an option

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Now I am not a big round up fan. mostly cause I don't want to pay for it and ideologiacally I am also not a fan

But I will be buying some this year. Apparently the soil line is too high on my house and it covers the foundation. So I need to pull back all the mulch that I had against the house for 6 inches so I can treat the house for termites. Now if i dont use round up I will be overrunn with weeds in that 6 inches that has no much. Much to my dismay. But having weeds is not an option
We have a similar issue so we had 2 options... we ended up planting creeping jenny as a ground cover instead and it grows against the house, then in the bad we're going to use crushed gravel as mulch for 4-5" before we add the wood mulch for the rest of the beds.

Get it cleared out and maybe you can use this to your advantage, and have a whole new look to the house's gardens. :)

Latest posts