The slugs have started!! KILL KILL KILL

krzybo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The slugs have come out already. They are in my worm box and around my raised garden beds. I fought them all last year and they won. Any ideas on how to get rid of them early or at least slow them down. I have done the picking them off at night, spraying them with ammounia/water solution at night, DE, copper wire, Slug be gone, and yelling at them.:tongue I will even try poison if I have to. I am desperate. I have tons of them.

Tylianna

Sprout
Reaction score
Drown them in beer!!! Pour beer into a cup or similar container and bury the cup up to the rim so they just crawl in, and die! At least they die happily drunk! I hope you get them this year!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've used the beer but then I resent the slugs getting it :rolleyes:.

I have slugs on the greenhouse floor every year and in my plastic tunnel. I put down Sluggo Bait. It contains iron phosphate which is supposed to change into a fertilizer and not harm pets. It works.

Once it is wet - Sluggo is gone, however.

In the garden, I have certainly had problems with slugs but I've found that most anything will keep them out. They hang out in the bushes and along the fence line but if I spray the ground with most anything in the way of an insecticide, they don't seem to want to cross it. Once again, if it rains or I run the sprinklers - the repellent qualities are gone.

Okay, I don't have slugs like the rainforest ♫ or, probably, like you have there in Georgia ♪. So, I'll stop now . . . this was just my 2.

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember when I was little I'd get my little brother carry a box around as I filled it with slugs. Just went around picking them up. Hundreds of slugs, if not thousands every week or two. One time though I filled one of those paper boxes that hold reams of paper half full with slugs climbing over each other... and then for air decided to poke holes in the side of the box... with a pencil. Let's just say the next morning my mom freaked out and she was using a long stick to pick off hundreds if not thousands of slugs off the side of the house, the windows, light fixtures and the doors... everywhere. She was glad we didn't bring the box inside. LOL The whole front porch area glistened in slug slime. HAHAHA

We have these banana slugs that are like 8 inches long when they are moving and shrink up to the size of a large kiwi when you poke them with a stick.

The only thing that has managed to keep the slugs under control has been the 10 years of free ranging the chickens. They don't eat adult slugs, but do eat baby ones and their eggs. Of course, they are fenced out of the gardens though, since else I'd have no garden.

Sorry this post was no help, had to share my slug story.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year i had problems with slugs eating the leaves of my pepper seedlings and other plants, i sprinkled sand around the area i didnt want slugs to touch, they won't cross that sand area since its abrasive, you could also try crushed eggshells. This seems to work better for me than the beer method usually.

Hope this helps!! ;)

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Spinkle wheat bran around the plants being attacked. The slugs will eat the wheat bran and dry up like a stick. Replenish after rain.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find a bunch of copper tubing. I laid it out around the outside edges of my garden (especially near their favorites) and it really made a huge difference. Apparently, they get an electrical charge from the copper that they don't like...Another idea is to place a piece of wood or cardboard in the garden- turn over in the morning and kill slugs on the back...

krzybo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried the beer, didn't work too good and I don't want to buy beer (don't drink), I tried the copper around the tops of the raised beds and I watched them crawl over them (and I think they were laughing at me while they were crawling over it). I will try the cardboard again and the other suggestions. Keep them coming and I will let you know how it is going. Out to conquer the slugs!!!!:rant:somad

terrielacy

Leafing Out
Administrator
Reaction score
We put our ducks to to work to take care of the slugs when we lived in Oregon, Land of the Monster Banana Slug. Of course then we had to fence the garden off from the ducks. :rolleyes:

Latest posts