The start of my new fruit orchard!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would consider the distance from the highway and shopping a blessing. :) Thats our situation and I love it, but you can depend on the sprawl eventually catching up to you. Enjoy the quiet while you can.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're missing one Apple variety -- Gravenstein.. A variety I can't grow down here in So-Cal -- not cold enough.. We get them up in Oregon when we visit my mother -- yum!

Also, you do know that many varieties of Blueberries can get 4-5 feet tall? We frequently pick them at various farms in Oregon during the summer and they can get pretty big -- I'm not sure about your particular varieties though..

Needless to say, I'm jealous! My wife and I can come up and house-sit for you in the summer if you want to go anywhere as long as we can pick some fruit! :drool

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Many of mine could grow up to 5ft tall. A neighbor at our old place here in the N. Cal valley grows blueberries commercially and I know Duke is one of the types he grows. He has acres of rows that he keeps prunned at 4ft. for ease of picking and cultivation.

edited to add. I'm not sure about the Gravenstein, it would ripen in July in our dry summer heat. The heat could make them mushy. We get very hot here in the 100's around that time. I was told by an apple grower to try apples that rippen late or very late. My sister is trying different types both heirloom and ones like Red Fuji and Gala. I might graft some from her's and I may order some scion wood in a year or two to graft other types to my trees:) My neighbor also has a McIntosh that had some very tasty fruit last year:)

Some I want to try
Hawaii
Williams' Pride
Bramley's seedling
White winter pearmain

and more....

Hey maybe I can start a "bed and breakfast"... pick your own fruit and gather eggs for the breakfast part. LOL

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, all I have to say is wow. That is just an amazing selection of fruits and berries. Did I See any nut trees on that list?

You know next summer if you have any problems figuring out what to do with all that fruit let me know. I'll come help you can it.

That is just an amazing and valuable addition to your home.

Congratulations!!!

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:D I'm excited to finally be able to plant fruit trees at our own place. I'm such a "fruitaholic". I haven't selected any nut trees yet, but we'll see. My family has almonds and olives on the old family ranch. They share if they have extra. I was hoping to also trade excess fruit for produce I don't have like honey, nuts, and even veggies.

Latest posts