The Sunflower Thief!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I found a woman picking tomatoes in my garden and had taken a couple of sunflowers. She said she was the neighbor's friend, I said okay. She came back and took all the sunflowers. I do not have any this year because none went to seed. Then yesterday I found her picking blackberries, eating and brought her own cup to fill. I said, excuse me! She said remember me? I am your neighbor's friend. You said I could pick. I said not everything. She said I'm not. You HAVE PLENTY. Said have a nice cool morning and God bless and drove off. I have been wondering why no blackberries growing towards the alley. My friend swore animals were getting her chickens and found out the neighbor took them. I vote deer though. I have squirrels and they never bothered my sunflowers.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's outrageous GWR! She's the neighbors friend so she's entitled to help herself to your hard work?

I'm afraid I wouldn't have been as congenial as you.

I was pretty shocked. I never said she could pick anything, just take what she had already taken last year and never said she could come back and get the rest of the sunflowers. I put the tomatoes on the inside of the fence this year, just remembering her. Lol. Never thought about the blackberries.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Seed. That's not a squirrel, rabbit, groundhog, or anything that small since everything disappeared. They are not big enough to be able to eat all of it. Something came back to get more of the stem, that as not a chipmunk dragging the flowering part away to its den. I'm thinking deer, goat, moose, cow, or horse, something pretty big that can chew it and swallow it. Have you seen any tracks or droppings in the immediate area?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's outrageous GWR! She's the neighbors friend so she's entitled to help herself to your hard work?

I'm afraid I wouldn't have been as congenial as you.
I am with thistle I would have taken great pleasure throwing her out. Some one on BYC was having same problem they made a sign skull and cross bone warning poison in use. Stopped the stealing

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
You live in Maine ... you have Moose and Deer ... both eat sunflower seeds, seed heads as well as stems of plants.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
09FB3EF2-31F8-4A5D-8D3A-D719FD273FC4.jpeg

Does it look like this? This is some of ours after the deer munching. They somehow have grown new branches and a going to bloom soon.

Latest posts