The Trees and That Wind!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps, being in the City, their other option is the furniture, but here we have trees everywhere and no lack of downed ones from whatever was the last storm. I really don't know why no one wants the wood 'free' for a little work. My nephew heats with wood and still wouldn't stop by for some of the already cut free stuff.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
People around here will go for downed free wood very quickly. Unless it's cottonwood. But even our most common pine will get used for heat to somebody who needs it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red it is for heating, fire wood is not cheap here. I once had a man driving passed stop and ask if he could have some trees he noticed where down for awhiile

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I burned lodgepole pine when I lived with an abundance of it. Other choices were preferred.

Has anyone burned spruce?

Unless I'm mistaken, spruce is the source of some of the most expensive softwood boards. I don't know that the lumber industry feels it must be accurate in its id's - witness what was recently said about wood from cork trees on TEG. Anyway, if spruce is a valuable wood, maybe so many of them being carried away after the November windstorm wasn't entirely tragic.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess this just demonstrates what a financially depressed area I live in: When a tree falls, there is someone there to offer to cut it up and haul it away for free, practically the next day.
Any unwanted item I have, I can put out near the road with a "free" sign and it is gone within an hour or so.
Yet, outright theft is rare. I never worry about locking my car at night, at home, and outdoor decorations, lawnmowers, etc., are not in danger. So far, anyway. I have an uncanny knack for jinxing myself by making a statement like this. So if my yoga mat is missing from my car tomorrow, I have only myself to blame.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I changed my front door because of style. There was nothing wrong with old door, so I put it at curb with free sign. A few days later I got a SIGNED note in my mailbox. Any chance I still had keys to dead bolt, I called the number that I had keys to all locks on door. A young couple down the road, stopped by, the only house they could afford was " handyman special" They thought they won the jackpot finding a exterior door for free.

Latest posts