The Upside To Drought

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The drought isn't over by any means, but we got almost an inch of rain Monday night! Which was enough to make me feel comfortable that I could mow the dry weeds in my pasture without setting the world on fire. :)

And this morning, I have bean sprouts unfolding!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how they just sit there and wait? Mother nature is so cool! Enjoy your wet season!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that weather & climate can be so different in areas lumped together for the benefit of reference.

The South West is so very dry! The North West is so very cool.

I have operated machinery in fields where there was real concern about starting a fire. One of my co-workers set an accidental fire in a neighbor's wheat by just running a combine next door. The fire jumped the fence and he spent the rest of the day trying to put out the fire over there so that they could get their wheat harvested also . . .

Here, we had an 85F day yesterday. Windy today and cooler but yesterday must have been the warmest this year! We are asking each other if we will ever get to summer. Here is what the Weather Service says about our area: "Looking farther into the future, the three-month outlook for July, August and September shows near to slightly above normal temperatures and a greater chance of below normal precipitation. So yes, summer is expected to arrive to the Inland Northwest."

The response from us has to be, "Yes! At long last!"

"Equal Chances" of below or above summer normals is what the Weather Service is predicting for the Southwest. As best as I can read the climate information for Amarillo, you should have already entered the monsoon. Since 7 inches of rain is normal over the next 3 months, maybe you can get back to those normals, hopefully!

Meanwhile, up here in this corner of the Wild West, we will be happy ( :) ) to get half that much rain.

Steve

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yep. it "should" be monsoon season, but right now our wet spell appears to be exactly one day! At least the temps (and the wind) are moderating to more normal levels. Gotta start somewhere, right? For now, though, I'm off to :watering

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Can we talk about the Monsoons? It is something of a foreign idea to me - rain in summer.

And about those weeds -- what is the toughest weed to kill in the hot sun? In my garden, it has to be purslane.

I once set a purslane plant upside down on a concrete block in the garden. Of course, the garden has sprinklers and water fell on the purlane but the block was in full sun during the heat of summer.

Three weeks later!! The weed had not only righted itself but it was flowering http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/shocked.gif!

digitS'
sounds like we need to do is declare that tomatoes, green beans, are weeds - if they arent' wanted they will grow like crazy - or maybe we can cross breed em with the purslane

Latest posts