The Value of Fresh Seed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will start out talking about seed that I bought in bulk and didn't use. Those would be pepper seed and here is my first sowing of peppers in this morning's early light:
DSC00923.JPG

They are really ready to go! I'd better get them into 4-packs very soon and there shouldn't be any problem with moving them at this stage. Look at the Anaheim, however:
DSC00925.JPG

Yeah, it looks like I might snip that with the scissors I used to push the big robust plants out of the way! (No judging, please, if the 2 Anaheims out of 20+ seeds go in the compost bucket!)

I have mentioned these in the "Inside Starts" thread. I failed to mention the age of the seed - it wasn't terribly old maybe 5 years. The Jalapeno M performed just as poorly and that seed was older. I've already tossed them both.

Here are the fresh Anaheim seed "for 2014" that I sowed 14 days later:
DSC00927.JPG

Maybe every seed has sprouted and some of them are as far along as that poor crowded seedling that is twice their age!

I also sowed more of the old Anaheim seed at the same time as the fresh seed. There were about 50 seeds and I've got 1 that has sprouted and has leaves that have broken out of the seed case.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean Steve. That old seed may sprout but the seedlings just never look as strong as fresh seed sprouts.

I planted a flat of thunbergia - and I almost never start annual flowers, and it's still just dirt! I didn't think the seed was all that old, last year maybe?

The half flat of asclepias is doing real well however, and that's THIS years seed. Those, I'm happy about, and am trying to decide just where I'll put them.

I have to confess to not even sowing my peppers yet. I think I'm waiting for a kick in the seat. Yours are super beautiful! That should wake me up!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My saved Tomato Seed I really have to take personal responsibility for, Thistle'! Only last year did I realize that I really should be conscientious about putting the date on the seed. I've saved seed from my grandmother's tomato for over 20 years, fresh seed most every year. Nothing else. I only started saving seed from any other varieties about 8 or 9 years ago.

The older seed always seemed to do okay and I didn't save very much fresh seed from the 20+ varieties that I could have. This has been a mistake!!!

First off, I ran out of seed for a very fine yellow beefsteak (Casey's) and didn't remember that fact. So, I didn't bother to save any of that seed in 2013 and didn't realize that I had none until March 2014! Oops! Well, I can still find that one on the market and will buy that seed in 2015 so that I can welcome it back into the garden.

That was a real oversight but I had all this other seed saved from other varieties! Should be Good to Go! Wrong.

I haven't grown Ildi yellow grapes for about the last 3 years. I don't know the age of the seed. . . I've got about 10% germination!

Thessaloniki was just about the first heirloom that I grew, rejoiced in and saved seed. I saved a bunch over the first few years!!! How did it do this year? Zero.

I still have 20+ varieties for 2014. More seedlings than I can shake a stick at! I may replant the Ildi seed since it is real quick at maturing. Maybe I'd better forget about Thessaloniki this year - I can buy fresh seed in 2015.

This isn't how growing heirlooms is supposed to work! I save seed in just the simplest fashion - spread out on a paper towel and allowed to dry in the sunshine. That technique has worked fine for seed that was 3 or 4 years old with no problems. I can now see the limits and plan to save seed from each variety this year. There's no reason for me to have completely run out of seed for one variety and run the seed down to zero viability on another!

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because seedlings live off of the starch of the seed, as the seed ages, the starch becomes less available. Once the roots take over, you will see no difference unless the old seed starts pick up a disease stunting them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, most of what few came up of these, are too weak to break out of the seed cases.

The few of those that did, have neighbors that are so far ahead of them that they are completely overshadowed.

I can understand a little of the "romance" of sprouting a long-dormant seed. Getting badly off schedule isn't so great. I've got a lot of depth to the bench but that is not true with everything.

At least it isn't like the time I tried a random soil mix and nearly snuffed my entire season.

Snuffleupagus

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago I was told that germination is one thing, but vigor is something different. My old boss used to try to get all the customers to buy new seed every year, and one of the tactics was to say the seed might germinate but it wouldn't flourish (he didn't use that big of a word) if the seed wasn't new. All the while we were mixing in old seed with the newer, testing it and selling it.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' - Wow, your peppers look great! I'm a couple of weeks behind your first sowing, but a bit earlier than I usually get them going.

I will push the date on some flower seed, but I'm probably overly cautious with the vegetable seed. No great loss if I'm short a few marigolds, but the tomatoes can't be late for the party. I just got 100% germination on some 3 year old salvia seed, something I usually don't stretch that far. Yay!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago I was told that germination is one thing, but vigor is something different. My old boss used to try to get all the customers to buy new seed every year, and one of the tactics was to say the seed might germinate but it wouldn't flourish (he didn't use that big of a word) if the seed wasn't new. All the while we were mixing in old seed with the newer, testing it and selling it.
Blending old and new seed is the worst thing you can do. Germination and vigor are 2 completely different things

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is mostly off topic but your comment on sage reminds me of something.

First off, if I mess up, I am stuck with the garden center offerings because I will be running out of time. They may have stock from a half dozen seed companies. So, why is it that the varieties are all the same??

My eraser is always worn off my pencils, just a virtual flurry of errors in life. Yeah, I haven't grown sage for years. My plants were in Dad's backyard and there are new residents. Didn't think to order seeds but, I see ONE sage on the racks that seemed to be different than the others, "Greek sage."

Well, the Greeks must know a thing or two about sage! After planting the seed, I learn that it is only reliably hardy to zone 9 . . ! If I'd saved the packet, I'd take it back for a refund of my $2!!

Steve

Latest posts