The Value of Fresh Seed

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The peppers look great. So, I learned something new. I never thought about the plants being weaker from older seed. Maybe that is what is wrong with my cabbage this year? I usually at least get a lot to sprout. The peppers are really slow coming up this year and do not look that great. I bought some new seed, but I have not planted them yet.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I did a germination test on corn. I hade the same variety of Breeder's Choice, a Hybrid from Burpee, some left over from 2012 and some labeled for 2013. I got the same germination rate, 100%, from both batches of about 12 seeds each, but the 2013 were noticeably bigger and more vigorous. I planted them both, the 2013 first and when that ran out, the 2012. I got corn from both, but I do succession planting. I did not plant them at the same time so I can't honestly compare production. Just the couple of weeks difference in growing season could easily account for differences. It's hard to compare when they are not under the same conditions.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am planning on using quite a bit of seed left over from last year...now I am beginning to doubt that plan. Thistle, I have tried and tried to grow thunbergia from seed- and have rarely succeeded. I did get a few plants last year- but nothing to brag about. A local greenhouse gal near me, specializes in them- and I am happy to support her endeavor!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom and @lesa - thunbergia has a hard seed coat, try soaking it for 12 hours before you plant. I have had good luck with starting that way. I start it about 4 -5 weeks before planting out. Link

Lesa, if your seed is just a year old I wouldn't worry too much, with the exception of onion (I don't have luck with that). I'm sure you have seen the longevity charts, but I'll add it anyway for those who may have not.. LInk

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, I felt there was something not quite ethical with the practice, especially when he would tell the customers one thing, then do another, but I couldn't do anything about it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two comments here: I saved some seed from some store-bought sweet peppers, to see if I could get something "similar" by planting them. The seedlings are very puny and growing slowly. They were probably a hybrid. I read that "most" hybrid fruits make sterile seeds, or that won't thrive. Maybe this is what is going on.

The other thing is, I discovered that my light timer has gone kaput, so the lights over the plant table are staying on 24/7. Has anyone found this to retard growth? Do plants need a certain amount of dark in order to grow properly?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@lesa I even get by just fine with 2 year old onion seed. I think it depends a fair amount on storage conditions.

EDIT: you can do a little germination test, Lesa. And, just starting seed a little early may give you time for "catch up" if they fail.

@so lucky , I can't answer your lighting question. I've always kind of thought that plants are like kids -- they grow in the dark.

Hybrids, I suspect, are seldom sterile. You have germination. I'd think that the maturity of the seed for soopermarket peppers could be a problem. That stuff is picked probably weeks before it is ripe!

Steve
who is curious how @thistlebloom pronounces "asclepias" . . . my attempts to talk about that plant with someone always made think that it is a good thing we don't wear dentures!

Last edited:

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I store my onion seeds in the freezer and get two or three years out of them that way. If I had room, I'd put them all in the freezer.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two comments here: I saved some seed from some store-bought sweet peppers, to see if I could get something "similar" by planting them. The seedlings are very puny and growing slowly. They were probably a hybrid. I read that "most" hybrid fruits make sterile seeds, or that won't thrive. Maybe this is what is going on.

The other thing is, I discovered that my light timer has gone kaput, so the lights over the plant table are staying on 24/7. Has anyone found this to retard growth? Do plants need a certain amount of dark in order to grow properly?

I have never tested my lighting routine, but this UofM Extension page agrees with how I do it. I turn them on when I get up and shut them off when I go to bed... about 7 hours of dark. I have heard some people leave them on 24/7, but I have not tried it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ Lesa, you don't know how much better I feel about my gardening self hearing that thunbergia has been difficult for you too!

@Lavender2, I wish I had asked for thoughts on germinating thunbergia before I planted all three packets! I will take your advice the next time I attempt them. Thanks!

@digitS, I say as-CLEEP-e-uz. That's with my dentures firmly glued in. Otherwise it's just milkweed. :D

Latest posts