The World is Changing

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is interesting stuff to me. I made an electromagnet once for picking up nails out of the gravel driveway...it was actually a little scary, plugged into the extension cord and all. I used a magnet from an old door holder. It didn't work nearly as well as I thought it would and I disassembled it before I could electrocute myself and others.

DH made one for the kids last year. The oldest took it to school for science show and tell (she was a 2nd grader) and it was confiscated by the administration for being volatile. When she hooked all the wires up the bolt got hot (she crossed the wires) and melted 2 paperclips. DH had to go up there and get it. Needless to say he put a battery on that wasn't as strong. Not really a traditional magnet but, still a magnet.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Monty Home Depot sells magnet on poles for just that purpose. A friend bought one after having a new roof put on. The roofers left nails everywhere.

Yeah, I have a magnet on a pole. My idea was to be able to pick nails up, hold it over a bucket, turn off the power and drop everything without having to pick everything off by hand.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine is a 2 foot magnet with wheels and a long handle. Just roll the tool along the ground and all the nails and screws are picked up. Great for those times I bump the box of deck screws or pick up the box of brads upside down.

Didn't keep me from getting that 200 year old nail in my tire, though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hot spots for mobil devices.

Since DD is on our phone service and I now have a schmadtfone too, I've gotta be careful about using the cell for too much data. So, when I'm in a parking mode while DW is shopping, I go looking for hotspots.

Some are just as simple as parking at one end of the lot, or the other. This Sunday morning, I've gotta choice of being out by the street by the bar ... or driving 1 block and using her MD's wireless while sitting in some comfortable shade ... Their wireless ain't turned on!

No, the building supply outfit across the road has "guest wireless!" Ah, the connectivity ...

Steve ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed I get the not being enslaved to electronics. In my job, it's going more that way. A cell phone can be a good thing as it allows my family (and me) some peace of mind knowing if one of them is in trouble, they can reach out to me.

Plus I text some loved ones every once in while just to let them know, I'm thinking of them.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:gigI am soooooooo not connected with this world. And I'm soooooo glad for that! When I watch my kids scramble about arranging wireless this or that, or complain about lack of service here or there, or complain about how powerful the internet service is there as opposed to over here and how they'd never live where so and so lives because the internet is so very slow there, etc, I just tune it out...it's all gibberish to me.

It's not that I don't know what they are talking about, but it's just not a problem in my world and I find it silly and trouble of their own making. Their dependency on all these gadgets is self made and takes up an enormous amount of their daily thoughts and time.

And they are a lot like drinkers and drug users in that respect...they can't stand it that I'm not enslaved to the techno world too and so they keep pushing and pushing for me to "Get a cell phone...we'll even pay for it! We just want to be able to get a hold of you at any given time when you are in town, etc., blah, blah, blah". They seem very uncomfortable around someone who is not enslaved to their addiction and so they keep pushing their addiction onto those who do not have it so they can feel more comfortable about being enslaved.

It's kind of weird to me....I don't push my choices on them..."Get chickens...I'll even give you chicks! I just want you to occupy your time with a living, breathing creature that's alive on this planet instead of techno garbage, blah, blah, blah" or get onto them about all their chains to technology, though sometimes I snicker about it. :D

The world may be changing but I don't change much at all. I just sit back and watch it all happening, basking in the joy of not being a part of it.
AMEN

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
164428_large.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you can have modern technology and not be enslaved to it.
I'm glad I have a cell phone to get in touch with my husband when needed.
I remember well the days BC. (Before cell) :D

Years ago when my boys were real little, 3 and 7, I guess, we had a radiator hose go out in the one ton while I was driving on the freeway to town. Thank God we happened to be close to one of those Highway Patrol emergency phones that had recently been installed along the highway. I got the boys out of the truck and high up on a bank while I walked the short distance to the phone. The dispatcher was able to connect me to the job dh was working at, another of Gods mercies, this job site had a phone (!) and he arrived in an hour to rescue us with another hose.
There have been many other times I had to call him for help.
Me traveling down to my folks with Kid#2 made for a little more peace of mind for him knowing I could call him or the police if I had any problems.
And we usually call each other at noon, job permitting, just to say hi and smoochy smooch. :love

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I see how others including my children are tied to their phones and I don't see myself ever going there. I do appreciate being able to contact someone in an emergency or being able to discuss a change of plans without a long drive home first, but it does seem that many are in servitude to their devices. Those beeps or tunes DEMAND being answered and it's a strong few that can set them aside for a conversation.

I don't even like the old line phones. I much preferred face to face or writing a letter to calling parents on the phone.

Steve, they don't make clothes pins like they used to. They are much cheaper and more breakable. Mine are unpainted, but well used.

Latest posts