The World's Tiniest Tomato

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This has to be the smallest tomato I have ever seen!
10 8 2015 Tiny Tomato email.JPG

I ate it!! It tasted like a ripe tomato... for a just a second!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cute, but probably not the smallest tomato of all -- just the smallest for you from normal sized tomatoes. I have a variety called "Spoon" that has its bigger fruit about that size. A dozen or more can easily fit in a spoon, hence the name I suppose.

I wouldn't have grown them again this year if not that they volunteered. Too much effort to harvest, it's like picking currants, but my neighboring BFF1's granddaughters think they are great in salads and school snacks. For me it's just a bit of juicy and a lot of skin.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A "currant" tomato?

I have Coyote tomatoes in the garden. Some describe them as a currant variety. They are not nearly as small, just smaller cherries from my way of thinking.

Their flavor is quite intense. I have thought that it is unlike other tomatoes I have grown but I wonder how similar to the currants.

The flavor is not really un-tomatolike. Rather, it's a very sweet and ripe taste. There is more to be described but I'm at a loss for something like the descriptions of wines, "fusing complex nacho undertones and a harmonious papaya essence ..." Nah, that ain't it.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
a couple years ago I grew the two forms of the Ramito tomato (Ramito Dorado and Ramito Dolce) both of which also had currant size fruits but were not currant tomatoes (I think they are both escuentums, not pimpernellifoliums. they had that funny flavor as well (well the dolce did, the dorado tasted more or less normal) which I found very frustrating as Dolce also proved to be the ONLY tomato I have ever gotten that actually produced heavily for me (that alas seems to be the pattern, the few tomatoes I have grown which have produced decently for me have all proved to be unpalatable, while those I like produced little or nothing.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are PERFECT!!!
I love tomatoes in a salad, but sliced tomatoes are too juicy and if added in the morning for a salad lunch at work, make a limp soggy mess. Cherry tomatoes are too much tomato at once for me - and are hard to cut without shooting a few across the room.
These little beauties would be perfect!
Goin' googling to find them!