There are no coincidences

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything happens for a reason. I just ran to kmart, I needed 1 thing ,was just going to run in and run out. On the way to the pool section I saw dog biscuts on sale , so grabbed 2 boxes. I was getting dogs a treat so picked up bag of cookies for myself. At the light leaving parking lot was a young very dirty woman with a pitbull holding a sign Down on luck hungry anything would help. I gave her the bag with cookies and biscuts wished her luck.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet!
I enjoy helping those in need directly like you did, but know (from my youth) that there are a large number of miscreants who practice "panhandling" in much the same ways. One I knew had an untaxed income of over $200,000 per year. Let's hope she didn't leave the parking lot in her Lexus later in the day.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, I didn't mean to rain on your great behavior. Your intentions show what a wonderful person you are and I'm glad to know you. Giving the food in leu of giving money was the ideal way to help, IMHO.

I paid for breakfast for a hungry, tattered stranger, but gave the money to the waitress so I knew it would go to food and not alcohol or drugs. She got any leftover money as a tip.

Kind hearts often make themselves a soft touch for less than honest people. Still, if it was a scam, I'd rather you erred on the side of kindness.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was a nice thing for you to do NYboy.

I agree that giving help with something tangible rather than cash is the best option.

When my sister takes a road trip she packs several gallon ziploc bags with small items like shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrush, comb, washcloth, bandaids, chapstick, and hand lotion etc.

When she encounters a homeless person, she gives them the bag of essentials and a coupon for a meal at a fast food place.

It's not going to turn their life around, but it is a kindness from one human to another.

I also agree with Red that there are people out there that take advantage of and profit from other peoples compassion.

When we used to drive down to visit my parents we usually stopped at the same rest areas along the way. At a particular one in Oregon, off interstate 5 there was the same guy for at least 2 years in a row. Same wording on his cardboard too, and he had a puppy each time I saw him. His sign said "Car broke down, need repair money to get home".

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had a problem in this area with 'panhandling' that you mentioned Red. it became a problem and our local gov'ts decided to put certain policies in place. but those didn't last long. some of the rules included not walking onto private property to beg (happened to me last year before they put new 'laws' in place, a guy came up on my porch begging for $10 and really pining for $$-guy later got picked up during heroin bust). another rule is they couldn't be within so many feet of an ATM/bank begging, and couldn't be so many feet from intersections. once they walk into the road they can actually be picked up for jaywalking if not in crosswalk, but police are not usually around to catch that happening.

one of the local radio dj's had a nice solution i liked. she kept $5 gift cards for certain fast food chains in her car so she was sure if they really were homeless they would have gladly accepted it. a few times she mentioned one particular 'homeless' man got upset and flung it in her face. this guy got picked up later and was found to be an occupational panhandler with a fairly new SUV parked just around the corner from his usual areas he begs from.

i haven't noticed this happening much lately but i'm not a huge shopper and it seems they have certain stores they like to set up in front of during daytime hours when i'm working.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red I know what you mean. Years ago police in NYC turned a blind eye to panhandling, you couldn't walk 2 blocks without someone asking for money. You learn very quicky how to tell homeless from scam artist. I use my nose, if I have to hold my breath while talking to someone I know they are for real. someone who bathed yesterday smells very diffrent from someone who bathed 2 weeks ago. Also if they ask for food not money. Thistle that is a wonderfull thing your sister does. Can you imagine what it must be like to have to choose between buying toothpaste or eating that day. I didn't plan on buying cookies and biscuts, she needed it. There are no coincidences.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Always knew you where a sweetie with a big heart. Thanks for doing what you do. A coincidence? I don't think so. :)

Latest posts