There is probably a good reason, but I don't know what it is.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is in a subdivision, maybe the zoning has something to do with his actions, Like if he isn't actively planting, it reverts to something that is taxed higher, so he pays a guy to "rent" the land and plant it.
Being the cynic that I am, I bet the answer has something to do with money!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's the problem. Land rent-$200/acre. Inputs-$500-600/acre plus planting, harvesting costs. Guaranteed, no subsidy program that will cover that.

Don't get the never harvest and always corn. If you want it for a loss, grow soybeans. Lot less input costs.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of a skit on HEE HAW in the distant past. Two farmers were drinking moonshine and discussing their crops. The first one said he wasn't planting corn this year. The other replied that he wasn't planting soybeans because the government paid more for not planting soybeans than for not planting corn.

Like so lucky, I'm betting it's related to a financial gain for someone. . . . and we, the taxpayers are getting paying.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess it will remain a mystery, just seems funny. When I spoke to the landowner about the corn not being harvested it was early in the season and sweet corn was just coming into season. I said to the landowner: Do you know what sweet corn is selling for right now? If those fields were planted with sweet corn it would be worth a small fortune. He simply changed the subject to the condition of the road saying he need to call the town about the road cracking.

JackB

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
Reminds me of a skit on HEE HAW in the distant past. Two farmers were drinking moonshine and discussing their crops. The first one said he wasn't planting corn this year. The other replied that he wasn't planting soybeans because the government paid more for not planting soybeans than for not planting corn.

Like so lucky, I'm betting it's related to a financial gain for someone. . . . and we, the taxpayers are getting paying.
Oh, I am sure you are absolutely correct. Somewhere the Almighty Dollar is part of the equation. :rolleyes:

JackB

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what do they do with the standing corn? Mow it down? If so, what time of the year do they do it? Hard to believe they can bury that much plant material. Plus the amount of volunteer corn they would fight..... Curious

From pix, don't see any old plant residue. Do you see a lot when you look down the rows? I'm sorry but fascinated by this. As you can tell doesn't take much to amuse me.....

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
So what do they do with the standing corn? Mow it down? If so, what time of the year do they do it? Hard to believe they can bury that much plant material. Plus the amount of volunteer corn they would fight..... Curious

From pix, don't see any old plant residue. Do you see a lot when you look down the rows? I'm sorry but fascinated by this. As you can tell doesn't take much to amuse me.....
I think it is mowed in October or November. I know I see the geese walking between downed rows with some upright stalks. I recall years that early heavy snow knocked it down. I have seen them with discs in the spring burying the corn. These guys are not hayseed framers, more like farmers in grey flannel suits. Both recently signed agreements to have large solar arrays installed on their farms. Long term leases on the equipment, cheap power, tax credits, excess power sold back to the power grid, on and on.

JackB

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
could it be used for a local agriculture college program? maybe they have been using some of it for testing? maybe it is seed corn for future use? got me wondering too! :rolleyes:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
& u r sure they didn't run combine through field? If they just mowed it, there should be a lot of volunteer corn, & I do mean a lot-like grass in yard.