there must have been a good pumpkin harvest somewhere

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought two nice big pumpkins at the grocery story for $5 each. that's pretty good. I figure there must have been a good crop somewhere for prices like that.
when they get past their prime, i'll feed the seeds to the goats and the chickens to help them with any internal parasites. a win win situation :) I love pumpkins :love

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've had a decent harvest of Jack be Little types this year. a few dozen at least. i sold a few yesterday while having a yardsale and i;m thinking of setting up a small table out front of the house to see if anyone wants to buy them.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had a decent harvest of New England Pie pumpkins this year. Probably about 30 or so. The squash bugs were decimating the vines so we had to cut them off, but they've cured pretty well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got LOTS of pumpkins this year! They are in the new part of the big veggie garden and had a much better season than some things over there. My soybeans for edamame were a flop.

Something else you can do with pumpkins is cut them up and freeze them for the chickens thru the winter. They aren't wonderfully nutritious but the birds sure do like 'em! Sometimes, I don't even always bother to peel them. Cut up, steamed for a few minutes, they go right in the bags. Even a couple of jack o'lanterns make for quite a few meals for a backyard flock.

Cows like pumpkins. I'd imagine goats do too.

Steve

Latest posts