They Begin!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm exercising a little discipline today in not planting more tomato varieties. It's too early for some of those robust growers like Sweet 100. They tend to grow straight up and top heavy, I tend to be a very reluctant tomato pruner, and they become real difficult to even move around or keep upright.
A few more days ... Meanwhile:

The early-planted, slow-maturing tomato varieties are making a debut in the South Window. If someone was looking thru the glass, this is about what they'd see.

seedlings.jpg

There's some real good germination on some of these, altho' the camera has cut off the Goliath where none are showing. Doing that, I also cut off the Brandywine OTV with their 100% germination from saved seed. Proud. The single sprout is also saved seed and should have been 7! It's early, I think there will be more.

I had thought that there was a Anaheim pepper seedling just beginning to emerge. No. Well, it is early there, too --- early enuf to go buy fresh seed!! Ding Dang It!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What was I worried about?

38D10DC2-797C-4BA8-AC0F-AED7F5BF4F6B.jpeg
Four Anaheim showed up to greet yesterday’s sunshine!

They are joining celeriac and Apple Green eggplant seedlings as new residents in the South Window.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your starts are looking quite healthy. I grew kitchen king of the north peppers last season and was a success. Definitely growing them this again this year. Today the day for planting seeds

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, my Russian Beauty tomatos already have their 2nd set of leaves but are still only about 3 inches high. I'm going to transplant them to plastic cups. Once I do that can I leave them outside? Night temps are 45-50°.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Night temps are 45-50°.

Mary, WSU has a nice tomato growing guide that is somewhat oriented to this side of the Cascades. I know that because it mentions the last frost as being in May or June. Usually, WSU extension information is for the Puget Sound area where I think that they would just say: April. (LINK pdf file)

Regardless of where they are, the best indoor nighttime temperatures for tomato starts are "60°F–65°F."

After a week of being "outside for a few hours each day," they do suggest that they stay outside overnight. "If the temperatures drop below 50°F, leave the plants indoors."

Personally, I think that if it's warm enuf for them to be outdoors, it's warm enuf for me to toss them in the back of the pickup, haul them off to the open garden, and set them out in the open ground. I tend to spoil them by moving them in and out until that fateful day, however.

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once they sprout, I start taking them outside. The light is so much brighter there than inside my house.

I will be potting them this weekend and it will be a pain bringing them in each night. Right now that it's been raining off and on, the night temps are in the mid 50's. I figured volunteers are out there right now so I'm going to leave them out. So much easier.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I certainly don't have tomato volunteers, Mary.

The light is so much brighter there than inside my house.
This, I completely understand. In recent years, I noticed how the lawn grass directly below the South Window is different than elsewhere in the backyard. It is different because of reflected light that doesn't make it into the house. Fortunately, the tree nearby doesn't cast much shade at this time of year because it has no leaves and it's mostly the trunk's shadow that crosses the window.

The greenhouse has only a single sheet of angled UV-resistant film between the plants and the sun. However, I still find the shade from the 10', 2 by 4's frustrating. I know, never satisfied ;). Still, the light out there is better than the South Window for sun-loving plants like tomatoes. They and I grow impatient for each step along their journey to the open garden :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another sowing of the peppers:

E7E3D580-0C69-4D54-A68D-3E5F800DA1A1.jpeg
Do you have a favorite jalapeño?

The Super Chili in my garden have been a success, at least, compared to others. Nearest to the camera the Thai Hot seedlings should be showing up sometime. The little plants will almost have more peppers than leaves and most will fully ripen. These guys are hot!

The Early Jalapeño will do fine. Usually, it's kinda like "look at them go!" They will hit up against the climate in time but will be okay. However, they will be a little tough and, also, hot!

Mucho Nacho is supposed to be a larger version. It was never very mucho, so not a lot of difference.

I used to grow one with a number. Jalapeno something-or-other, supposed to be "the original." It was a little chewy. I have wondered about Fresno ... I should try more varieties to find the best ... :).

Steve

Latest posts