Things I added to my compost today thread

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone use shredded newspaper in their compost piles? I'm considering using it as carbon since I'm running out of the autumn leaves.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It makes a nice compost that holds water well in the soil but it's very slow to break down.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most of my items for compost goes through my chickens first...I have been cooking up peels for them they love buttrnut squash peels and sweet potatoes...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
It makes a nice compost that holds water well in the soil but it's very slow to break down.
Thanks hoodat! I'm going to shred the newspaper as tiny as I can.

gardeniasandhens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm working on putting some newspaper in mine. I'll dump the week's kitchen scraps in tomorrow. February 10th is when I order my worms! Can't wait!! :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
gardeniasandhens said:
I'm working on putting some newspaper in mine. I'll dump the week's kitchen scraps in tomorrow. February 10th is when I order my worms! Can't wait!! :D
gardenias,

Do you shred your newspaper before you put them in the compost? I find when I add the newspaper to the compost if I add a little water it helps the newspaper break down easier. I never ordered worms before, I'm sure their going to have a feast in your compost pile.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Today I cleaned out the goat shed, so all the wood shavings and droppings went onto the compost heap.

I used to put them straight on the garden, but got fed up of pulling out oats, :lol: they spill their grain and it grows in the borders, so I compost it all now.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Warthog said:
Today I cleaned out the goat shed, so all the wood shavings and droppings went onto the compost heap.

I used to put them straight on the garden, but got fed up of pulling out oats, :lol: they spill their grain and it grows in the borders, so I compost it all now.
Warthdog,
I think your goats want to get in on the action of gardening too, with the oats :lol:

doubleatraining

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a very new compost pile.

Today I added some pumpkin skins, greens stems, flat soda, old milk, and some pine shavings that got wet. I didn't water it though because its supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
doubleatraining said:
I have a very new compost pile.

Today I added some pumpkin skins, greens stems, flat soda, old milk, and some pine shavings that got wet. I didn't water it though because its supposed to rain all day tomorrow.
Hi doubletraining,

In case you didn't know, when setting up a compost pile. Their are certain things that shouldn't be added like milk and soda in your case.
The pumpkin skins and greens will be fine though.

Have a look at this link http://www.compost-info-guide.com/dont_add.htm

Hope this helps! ;)

Latest posts