This ought to be a good one.....who is from BYC??

fireweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
Welcome fireweed! Tell us about your garden....
My garden is semi-communal as we live on 3+ acres in my sister/BILs' rental cabin, they're in the the big log house and our elderly mom lives here too and loves her veggies and fruit.
The veggie garden used to be a horse paddock so big and fenced and well manured by the remaining horses. BIL tills in heaps of rotted horse manure each spring.
We have green peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, buttercup squash, Swiss chard, beets, carrots, and parsnips.

There are kiwis added this year and raspberries and a huge patch of strawberries that have spread out of control.
There are a few grape vines elsewhere on the property and a myriad of blackberry vines.
There was a huge patch of garlics which I have already harvested. Best crop yet.

And in our personal yard I have some strawberries and rhubarb as well as the typical flowers and decorative plants.

And everywhere else on the property, is chicken territory.
Fresh eggs, fruit and veggies enough for us all and extras to sell occasionally at the end of the driveway.

It's a lot of work but we all pitch in. (Except mom, she's too old to put to work, LOL)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That all sound wonderful!! Will you be planting garlic again soon? My plant date is coming right up, here in upstate NY. What a great setup- and good for Mom... she's got someone doing her gardening!

fireweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We're up in Pacific Northwest (British Columbia) and I would normally be putting garlics in about now but we are having a lot of rain right now.
If we get a nice dry spell in early October I'll plant then.
I like the soil to be warm and dry for about a week after I plant them and spread a nice thick blanket of straw to keep them from freezing and to slow the weeds.
I select about 10-15 of my biggest best garlics each year to replant and am now getting fist sized garlics with about 8-9 cloves in each bulb, so my system seems to work.
I use a lot of garlic. MMMM.

AZBootsie

Sprout
Reaction score
:frow
I am from BYC also, just checking this site out. TEG has cuter emotes.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is great! I'm a BYCer and love the site and I know I'm gonna love this one too!!! :celebrate

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol:I'm a BYC'er....an Easy Garderner....and a BYH'er (Backyard Herds group)....I've been enjoying all three....very informative and great people. I'm raising my Pyncheon Bantams....my Dahlias....and my Scottish Blackface Sheep. WELCOME to all the new people!!!! Warmest regards, Rusty Hart (Irish Acres)

Latest posts