thistles blooms

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay!! Spring has sprung! Everything looks beautiful...I have always wanted to have anemones. Have planted them a couple times, but they don't seem to take. Enjoy!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, My anemones keep coming back. They are in the shady garden. That area is pretty packed right now that everything is full and blooming. It's too bad yours don't do well.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought some anemone corms(?) this spring. They are said to be hardy through zone 5, but I consider myself to be borderline zone 4. Perhaps in the 30 some years since I last tried them they have become hardier or my place warmer. Like Lesa, my first attempts were not successful.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's different kinds of anemones. I have the tall fall blooming pink ones
(my favorites) which are I think Japanese (?), and those little spring blooming white ones which have spread like wildfire in that bed. Those I think I planted by tossing some seeds harvested from a friends deadheading.
Years ago I planted the corms and they did fine for a few years, but that was a different garden, different climate.
I'll have to look them up....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes! The hummingbird photograph could hardly have been more perfect.

@thistlebloom , maybe temptation will lead you to try dandelion root coffee. I mean, you have the product and already drink decaf.

@Smart Red , I don't know much about anemones and maybe Thistle' can comment. I suggest trying them where they can get some sunlight.

My try and fail left me thinking that they didn't make enough growth (in damp shade) to get thru a subzero, 5 month winter.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS, yes I definitely have the product! I will soon be the Warren Buffet of dandelion coffee! Watch for my brand on store shelves soon! :D

Eeegads! I looked up anemone in my old AHS A-Z encyclopedia and there are 120 species of them! Who knew? There are 3 main groups, spring flowering with tubers or rhizomes, tuberous species that bloom in spring to summer from hot dry regions, and larger, taller herbaceous species with fibrous roots that bloom late summer to fall.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hum. I bought three different varieties from a home-center-bargain-shelf. I'll have to check them out. I rather thought anemones were all spring flowering.

Regardless of what kind they are, I'd best get them planted soon.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My very, very, favorites are the tall pink (also come in white) ones that bloom late summer. Sometimes we get an early frost that kills the buds so I don't get any blooms, but the last few years we've lucked out and had armloads of them. I love to cut them and bring them in, they are such a sweet flower.

Those are ( I looked them up) Anemone hupensis japonica. And the little white guys are Anemone sylvestris. Both types can be invasive, but that's not a problem as far as I'm concerned. They can have as much of that bed as they want! I did give my mom some ( tall pink variety) for her garden in northern Calif. and they absolutely went wild. She was mildly concerned that they would soon be coming in the front door and helping themselves to the fridge, but I went down and whipped them into shape.

I think they are definitely worth a try.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pretty blooms @thistlebloom !! I like that Fothergilla, pretty fall color too, zone 5, maybe it will survive here, I must check it out!
I tried the Anemone sylvestris. A friend has them spread all over, but I think I had them where it was too dry. Yours are beautiful! Great shot of the hummer!

Latest posts