Thought of TEG Cat Owners

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This past summer a really young feral kitten showed up. No question it was feral, we see the mother a lot. It was so young it didn't immediately run away but backed into a corner to defend itself. I put on leather gloves and used a sheet to catch it, put it in a dog crate, and took it to the animal shelter. The two young ladies used that sheet to carefully take it out of the crate and took it inside. They said they'd have it socialized in a few days and would nave no problems getting her adopted.

Good luck on socializing that kitten.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well picked up the new foster kitties last night. It all went well until I tried to transfer them to a different cage. While I was trying to get them out one of the little stinkers bit me! Right through the thumbnail! I’ll be going to get antibiotics once the doc in a box opens this morning.

I don’t blame the kitten though. He was terrified and I should have been more careful. I learned my lesson! I’ll be hunting down a pair of nice thick welding gloves before I handle anymore scared kitties.
Those little kitties sure do have sharp teeth. DH was helping a friend catch some wayward kittens and one bit him THROUGH the side of his index finger! Yep, no more kitten wrangling without heavy gloves.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those little kitties sure do have sharp teeth. DH was helping a friend catch some wayward kittens and one bit him THROUGH the side of his index finger! Yep, no more kitten wrangling without heavy gloves.
Definitely learned my lesson I’m more used to handling younger kittens that can’t do a whole lot of damage. These guys are about 3 months. Just old enough to have some very big very sharp teeth.
This past summer a really young feral kitten showed up. No question it was feral, we see the mother a lot. It was so young it didn't immediately run away but backed into a corner to defend itself. I put on leather gloves and used a sheet to catch it, put it in a dog crate, and took it to the animal shelter. The two young ladies used that sheet to carefully take it out of the crate and took it inside. They said they'd have it socialized in a few days and would nave no problems getting her adopted.

Good luck on socializing that kitten.
Thanks! I think I’m going to need it! The one that bit me is the most friendly so I think I’ve got my work cut out for me (and by friendly I mean isn’t hiding under the furniture) 😂🤪

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was about to ask where did they come from,,,,,,,,,
wow, you really have your work cut out
where are they now? do you have a kitten brooder thing set up in the house so they can watch you / get use to
They were found dumped in someone’s yard. The homeowner brought them inside and has looked after them and taken them to a vet until the rescue could find a foster. We got them directly from him.
We have a spare room set up and we take turns sitting in the room with them. For younger kittens we have a large play pen we set up in the living room.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our current problem is that there is another cat that has been coming around (a calico ragdoll, I think) and every time Juniper sees it, he goes crazy ( He HATES other cats in his territory). So the house has gotten a little loud with Juniper standing by the window hissing at the other cat, and the other cat trying to get into our house ( I think part of why it keeps coming here, besides liking to sun itself on our patio, is that the catmint and cat thyme plants are still out there (they over winter))

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Likely a tomcat, @Pulsegleaner ?

I don't have a very good attitude about tomcats. Always, there will be one (or more) that visits our yard - everyday, any and every year. Coming right up to the backdoor where they will find something to pee on. They are terrible about burying poop and there's nothing quite like hitting it with the lawnmower!

That said, when I lived in the country, I liked my simple-minded tomcat, Reuben. I would open the door on a rainy day to let the cats out. The female would race off on the most sheltered pathway to wherever it was that she wanted to go. Reuben would take about 3 steps straight into the rain, stop, look at me - as if I could make it stop. He might even complain verbally about it. After I lost charming Reuben, I decided not to replace him.

The old calico across the street and the younger calico next door visit, females, I get along with. There is another female that visits the distant garden. It's plenty big enough and there's 200 yards from her home for her to find suitable places to relieve herself. I like seeing her and she can be quite friendly - when she has a mind to ;).

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually, I'm 99% sure the other cat's a girl. One, nearly all calicos are female (basically, because of genetics the only way for a calico to be male is if it is an XXY mutant) And 2 back when it first started to show up, it had a heart shaped collar tag (it seems to have lost it). Unfortunately, I never was able to get close enough to it to read the tag, or I'd know whose cat the other one was (it's pretty well fed so either it has an owner or it's getting a LOT of charity food.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2021-12-06-15-38-53_kindlephoto-243476085.png

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Likely a tomcat, @Pulsegleaner ?

I don't have a very good attitude about tomcats. Always, there will be one (or more) that visits our yard - everyday, any and every year. Coming right up to the backdoor where they will find something to pee on. They are terrible about burying poop and there's nothing quite like hitting it with the lawnmower!

That said, when I lived in the country, I liked my simple-minded tomcat, Reuben. I would open the door on a rainy day to let the cats out. The female would race off on the most sheltered pathway to wherever it was that she wanted to go. Reuben would take about 3 steps straight into the rain, stop, look at me - as if I could make it stop. He might even complain verbally about it. After I lost charming Reuben, I decided not to replace him.

The old calico across the street and the younger calico next door visit, females, I get along with. There is another female that visits the distant garden. It's plenty big enough and there's 200 yards from her home for her to find suitable places to relieve herself. I like seeing her and she can be quite friendly - when she has a mind to ;).

Steve
Does she use the toilet?

Latest posts