Thoughts on my Rhododendron

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did he say what could have happened?

I was curious and did a quick search. You may be right about the wetness, as they are supposed to have good drainage and mine are not far from a drain tile. Here are some causes that I found:

- planted too deeply
- poor drainage
- not enough water in the summer [last summer/fall was unusually dry]
- over fertilization
- too much sun, unless it is a variety that tolerates direct sun.

I hope you have success with future rhodies! They are so pretty when they bloom.
Wowzers! Those are beautiful!

Yeah, my house came with the rhodies too. The photo of the one in the backyard, past Sierra (gorgeous girl!! 🥰), makes me wonder what is happening on the other side of the fence. Is it suddenly in more sun than it was before, or is it receiving water from the property behind you? (just thinking out loud, so to speak)

The ones up by your house are near drain tiles just like mine.

It certainly is a mystery.
Thank you 😊
No nothing has changed and I don’t believe it’s receiving water from the neighbor although great observation.. there is this tree that hangs over from one neighbor that’s loaded with these red berries.. but it really hasn’t mattered over the years.. I think it just got old
I have another pup now too Lexi another cream So double trouble lol

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DD's have one south of their house. Never trimmed it. '
I took out 8 yews south of the garage and had to dig and hand dig to find the tap root to remove them.
Don't know that I could do that again.
I have trimmed yews on the south side of the house and east side. I overtrimmed 1/2 of them and they didn't come back. There are stones as mulch from a previous owner and their trunks as so tough, that even dead I can't remove the stumps, and the clay with the stones are impossible to dig into, so the stumps sit.
IF it was growing in just dirt, you can dig like a gopher, start cutting roots and when you cut the tap root you will have it out.
I did all sawing with a reciprocating saw, btw.

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DD's have one south of their house. Never trimmed it. '
I took out 8 yews south of the garage and had to dig and hand dig to find the tap root to remove them.
Don't know that I could do that again.
I have trimmed yews on the south side of the house and east side. I overtrimmed 1/2 of them and they didn't come back. There are stones as mulch from a previous owner and their trunks as so tough, that even dead I can't remove the stumps, and the clay with the stones are impossible to dig into, so the stumps sit.
IF it was growing in just dirt, you can dig like a gopher, start cutting roots and when you cut the tap root you will have it out.
I did all sawing with a reciprocating saw, btw.
I don’t think I could do all that I have a bad siataca
maybe our landscaper will if not the stump will probably sit too

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It's npt impossible, even Now for me to dig like this. It is good to explore Other options.
Funny, within our family I talk about my love for liquor, but, in actuality I drink very little.
Same with herbicides. I talk a big game, but use them carefully.
I had to transfer 2D-4 from a sprayer that was broken to a new one, and I ended up pouring a full cup of it onto a tree of paradise that had anchored itself to the edge of my barn. I had hit it in the past, but it survived, NOW it's dead, with a small stump left and I don't want to take any valuable gardening time digging that out.
I have some tree of paradise's that have grown up next to my street side east old cattle fencing. I Need this for gardening this season. My plan it to saw down the volunteer sprouts from about 12 of them still alive, Then drill holes in the stumps and pour 2D-4 into the holes first day that makes 60 degrees F, for the final nail in the coffin.
Saves digging.

Last edited:

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's npt impossible, even Now for me to dig like this. It is good to explore Other options.
Funny, within our family I talk about my love for liquor, but, in actuality I drink very little.
Same with herbicides. I talk a big game, but use them carefully.
I had to transfer 2D-4 from a sprayer that was broken to a new one, and I ended up pouring a full cup of it onto a tree of paradise that had anchored itself to the edge of my barn. I had hit it in the past, but it survived, NOW it's dead, with a small stump left and I don't want to talk any valuable gardening time digging that out.
I have some tree of paradise's that have grown up next to my street side east old cattle fencing. I Need this for gardening this season. My plan it to saw down the volunteer sprouts from about 12 of them still alive, Then drill holes in the stumps and pour 2D-4 into the holes first day that makes 60 degrees F, for the final nail in the coffin.
Saves digging.
I asked our landscaper to cut this bonsai type tree down in front.. he cut it at the stalk and never removed the stump lol I’m like umm okay and it turns out I planted my peony and honey suckle next to it and you would never know its there.. probably do that with this rhodie too and plant bulbs there.. saves digging too.. and Stops driving me to drink lol

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...he cut it at the stalk and never removed the stump lol I’m like umm okay and it turns out I planted my peony and honey suckle next to it and you would never know its there.. probably do that with this rhodie too and plant bulbs there.. saves digging too.. and Stops driving me to drink lol

i just think of them as future worm food. :) as long as they are cut down enough that i won't trip over them they're ok.

Latest posts