Three Sisters Garden

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Texan said:
aidenbaby said:
From what I've read, it is suggested to be about 12 inches in height and mounded in the middle. If you live in a dryer climate, like here in Colorado,it is suggested to flatten the top of the mound so that the ground can contain the moisture easier. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the mound is though. I suspect that it is to prevent overwatering the corn and beans and funneling that water to the squash.
What happens is water settles in the valleys, wont that put the squash or melons at risk for mold/rot/etc
I guess if you live in an area where you get lots and lots of rain you're going to want to so this in an area where you get good drainage but in high desert area those little valleys keep the water right there where I need it.

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not in high desert but it's still VERY dry here. I'm probably going to take a pass on the mounds/hills for now as I will be putting these in the lowest section of the yard. It still has good drainage as we are the highest house on the block. I've also been reading about placing mulch or dirt around the base of the corn after it has started growing to give the roots more support. However, it didn't say how much so I guess I'll find out.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried it this year. I planted my corn in rows and the beans next to the corn like two weeks later. I plant winter squash in between the rows. Overall, I don't think I did it right. Check out my pic. The plants (all three) next to the house are yellow and don't doing much. Like they don't get enough light cause the corn in front is blocking. However the plants in the front are going great. I had trouble with trying to get the beans to trellis the corn. The ones in the center seem to have tangled and didn't make it up the corn. And the beans are competing with with the squash for trellising up the corn.

DSC00090.jpg

Overall great way to maximize space but I think I did the placement wrong.

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to try the three sisters. This is my first garden and I'm sure I'll make lots of mistakes. Looks like the first one is to plant the corn for the three sisters in rows. I'm such a neat freak. I just like rows and didn't understand the importance of the hills.

But I appreciate the heads up. What I'll do is let the corn get more of a head start. I'll wait till it is at least 18 inches high. It is already up and growing. About four inches high now. So hopefully it can get a good headstart and still leave time of the squash to finish before frost.

I have a nice ripe bucket of manure tea. Do you think it will help the corn to water it with some of that? If it is husky enough, it might stand a better chance of supporting the beans. I'll also see if I can keep the squash vines off the corn.

We'll see. :)

Debby

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've got you beat on the "whoops". I've got my beans growing before anything else.

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
aidenbaby said:
I've got you beat on the "whoops". I've got my beans growing before anything else.
We can commiserate all summer. What did you find out about hilling up your corn. I thought I was supposed to do something like that but had poor luck googling a discription of the process.

Debby

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I built a mound and I'm growing my corn up it now... instead of squash I planted melon at the base. My corn in on the hill about 6-8" tall and I haven't planted the beans yet.

I need to get a photo of the mound with the corn started... I think it will really make a difference with height and letting the beans go up higher if needed.

I also think it allows more moisture to the melon/squash plant.

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, I think that is the right way to do it. You are starting the corn on the top of the hill to begin with. I read that the corn should be about a foot high before planting the beans and squash.

Apparently I did it wrong. :/ I planted mine in a row.

When corn is planted in a row do people hoe the dirt toward the plant as they cultivate and mound it up around the base of the stalks when it gets higher?

Debby

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Debby said:
. . . When corn is planted in a row do people hoe the dirt toward the plant as they cultivate and mound it up around the base of the stalks when it gets higher?
Debby
Sure. I've even had experienced gardeners tell me that corn actually benefits from having its surface roots cut by cultivation. Whether that's true or not - I try not to find out. But, I will make the effort to get the weeds out of it.

Some of those weeds are growing around the base of the plants. I'll get close with the wee tiller or the hoe but it is better for my composure & blood pressure to get down on my knees and move some of the loose soil with my hands, gathering it around the stalks of corn. Do this while the weeds are tiny and you can put a stop to their efforts to smother the corn.

The tall corn plants can also have real problems with the wind, especially when the soil is wet. Gathering that soil around the corn will go a ways towards providing extra support against the wind.

Wear long sleeves so the leaves won't cause a rash and while you are down there, enjoy the smell of the corn plant and feel the warmth of the earth thru your gloves and the knees of your jeans.

The experience should make you feel good about being a gardener. I always think about doing this task with my uncle Don, who, bless him, is still around. He and another uncle are the last (besides Dad) of 18 brothers and sisters. (Both Dad & Mom's families had 9 children.) The 3 survivors were the gardeners in their families.

Don's family came from Great Britain but members of Dad's family were cultivating their corn patches in the "New" World centuries before Columbus ;).

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I could answer those questions... but this is my first year growing and I don't know.

All I know of is what my grandparents did, and the corn was always in rows with them.

What I will do is when the corn gets silk I shake the stalks slightly to help fertlize... its what my grandpa did... so I will too!

As digits' says.... WEED! Use whatever you can... I think corn is pretty hardy and can hold up to it.

I want to get that little hoe/knuckle airarter thing... I don't know what its called but its like a hoe but it rocks back and forth while moving the dirt, and ripping up weeds. I think it looks great, and less bending over on my part... good for small areas too.