Thyme in Walkway

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @Lavender2 that paver locking sand was suppose to be used on my patio ( at least I was charged for it) Didn't make a difference as far as weeds.

Well, that's not a good review.
A landscaper friend recommended it, said it has to be the polymer based sand, not just the fine patio sand they used to use. He said if it's put in correctly it works great, he's never been called back to a job where he's used it. Sure hope I have better results!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful entryway @Nyboy !

I like the look of green in the cracks but it makes it hard to remove snow, if you have to.
We put in a new patio this year and found a weed blocking, paver locking sand. It's polymer based and suppose to prevent weeds and resist bugs. I can't review how good it works yet, but it seems highly recommended.

It was used on the flagstone walkways at one of my clients and after about 10ish years it seems to be working pretty good. Not 100%, but overall it seems durable enough and worth the effort to install. One drawback with the weeds that do get a foothold is that when you pull them it also pulls a clump of sand out.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was used on the flagstone walkways at one of my clients and after about 10ish years it seems to be working pretty good. Not 100%, but overall it seems durable enough and worth the effort to install. One drawback with the weeds that do get a foothold is that when you pull them it also pulls a clump of sand out.

Thanks, @thistlebloom , makes me feel a bit better! We used 2" thick patio stones that fit pretty flush together but I know over time weeds can pop up in the teeniest cracks.

@Nyboy , the sand was pretty cheap, $10 for 50 pounds, but it took a bit of time to sweep it in all the cracks, lightly watering, let dry... and continue til all the cracks are filled.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The problem as I see it is that so many products do keep weeds from growing up through, but fail to keep seeds from sprouting and growing down into. Round-up, pharmacy strength vinegar, used softener salt, even a torch is useful in keeping new starts from getting a good foothold.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked up both Elfin and wooly thyme last night. How much abuse can thyme roots take? The crack is very narrow will need to mutate roots to fit in. Wondering if I would be better off with seed.

Latest posts