Tick Paranoia

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... it's tick season again! For me this means months of constant paranoia, every random itch is all of the sudden one of those blood-sucking little beasties. I've officially spotted my first tick of the year right on my leg and the locals are reporting finding dozens of them on their pets already - they're coming early. And after the sub-zero weather, they're probably very hungry. I find that I attract ticks just as much as any dog or cat, maybe even more. With neighbors fairly close and my dad (he hates the noise even though he's past half-deaf from years of listening to loud radio) we can't get guinea fowl. Any alternative ways to combat ticks that you know of? Maybe a plant that they don't like?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, the ticks are up and at'm in full force this year. I spotted my first one late March. Applied tick stuff to the dog and cat. Took one off my back Sunday, one off DH on Monday and another just a few minutes ago. That doesn't count the two I found still crawling around looking for a meal on my arm and leg.

Guinea hens are the best at decreasing tick populations. Although ducks and chickens will do their part, ducks work better than chickens.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Permethrin spray for clothing, if you plan to go into the woods, field or other heavily infested area. You pre-spray your clothing before putting it on, allowing it to dry first and it binds to the fabric and won't rub off on you. Kills the ticks shortly after they touch it. It is non-toxic to humans when dry and is a synthetic molecule that mimics a derivative of the chrysanthemum flower. I usually prefer not to spray myself with DEET and stuff and use Avon Skin-so-Soft for things like mosquitoes, but Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever are no joke and I'd rather not take my chances.

I do give my dog Trifexis and the cats get Revolution to keep the fleas and ticks at bay on them and in the yard. Nothing more annoying than ending up with a flea infestation in the house because of the pets. I kept a stray coon dog once (outside) for two weeks trying to find it's owner and I kept finding ticks on myself later. :\

My BIL had the bulls-eye rash and fever last year with a suspected case of Lyme's, but was treated before it could get out of control.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
GACK, i found one in my ponytail on Sunday after biking and had a complete meltdown! DH was driving and I made him pull over so I could shed my clothes and search for any more. They're not as prevalent here in MT as the eastern states, my mom in PA has horrible amounts of them. They freak me out big time.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:sick They are so creepy. Like little alien creatures. I can usually feeling them crawling on me before they have a chance to bite on. One good thing about being extremely ticklish, I guess!

Latest posts