Tick Paranoia

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have had ticks for months now already:lol:.
As far as methods of keeping them down,FREE RANGE CHICKENS!!! :) Seriously, that is why we first got chickens, before we got them you couldn't walk from the door to the trash with out getting at LEAST 4 ticks, every one we met told us "get chickens" we did and now we can roam the whole property for hours and not a tick, but if we leave the property and head to our neighbors, the pond, or the woods you will get covered in them, I'm talking 10 -15 ticks in an hour. My record, 21 ticks in an hour and a half. (stepping in a nest doesn't count)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ticks are really bad here this spring. I have had Lymes, not fun. Journey I use Revolution on my dogs why don't you?

I had asked the vet for Revolution when Frontline suddenly stopped working, but they recommended the Trifexis instead. I'm not sure why...I probably should have asked. The Trifexis is working out well though. My dog has had skin allergies and skin cancer, so I don't know if that might have had something to do with it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't use permethrin, my face tingles an my tongue swells up. That is just one of the joys of having chemical sensitivity. If I spray my horses with it for flies, I have to hold my breath and make it the last thing I do with them. I can't touch them or hang around them after I spray them. I make jokes about being the canary in the coal mine.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wishin, not in the bay area that I know of. There's probably some in the mountains but those are at least 3 hours away.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I HATE TICKS> especially when I wake in the night feeling on crawling on me! :sick What makes me really nuts is the fact that I stayed indoors while DH and dog went for a romp. They bring them home to me. :somad

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule , that sounds like an allergic reaction, possibly leading up to anaphylaxis (the tongue swelling especially).

@Nyboy , I will definitely look into that.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 I am sensitive to chemicals. This means cleaning products, soaps, perfumes, scented room fresheners, candles, dryer sheets, fuel fumes, anything and everything with a smell. Natural smells don't make me react. I can use Dove soap, Palmolive original dishwashing soap and dye and scent free laundry soap. That's about all I can tolerate.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bleh, this discussion is making me itchy! They have been awful here! I was hoping one bright spot of the bitterly cold winter, but clearly it didn't make a bit of difference to those nasty things. For some reason, they keep hanging out on our screens - no idea why, I've never seen that before. DH has found a bunch on him, but so far I haven't found any hanging around on me (altho I'm prepared for that to change soon).

Latest posts