Time for Chrysanthemum's 'Mums' to bloom

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

It is about that time that everyone should be having a nice display of Fall Mums!

Some of mine are just now opening, others are still slow to show!

155hyf5.jpg

wcjt04.jpg

107oraw.jpg

30ncac5.jpg

k1orbc.jpg

2wp1ekp.jpg

More to come Later!

Please drop in and share your Chrysanthemums with us, you know you all have them! :bouquet

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They look great Ron I love them.
I never had much luck with them.
Maybe this year could be the year of the Mum, being so fertile and all.
:thumbsup

Joe

Edited to say that thumb should be green!^

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron can you tell me more about the Mums? I see them in the stores now and I think they are a perienial? So what do they like? Shade/sun? If I bought one could I transplant it latter? Are they similar to a Daisy? What is a daisy? I have some paper daisies that I can't get to grow.... but now I am wandering.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Mums are those plants that are just happy to be Mums! Shade or full sun! :coolsun

I find that there is an entire process of 'pinching' that will produce a great Cushion, but am I good at it? Not hardly! I say to myself every year that I will do some pinching but I never do. So mine get leggy and droopy.

Once my larger mums open up all the way I will take pictures. Mums are easy to propagate by tender cuttings too. A bit of hormone and some humidity in a tent will produce a ton of new mums, but also just planting and letting them multiply by clumps is a good way of propagating too!

I see them too at the store, especially Walmart and such, but I refrain from buying them and instead wait until there is a color someone grows that they want to share with me. This way I can say "this is from so-and-so, this one is from you-know-who, that one is his/hers" and it makes friends happy to contribute to my crazy world! Giving Mums is like a tradition for non-plant folks too! Have you all noticed that?

Easy as Pie! (is pie really that easy to make?) LOL

Ron :bouquet

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine don't even look remotely as nice... honestly, mine don't get much sun and I left them in pots on the porch... and they were a steal at $0.99 for a 6" pot at Home depot because I had to save them from HD! LOL

:lol:

Oh well, they aren't going to make it here much longer.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Mine don't even look remotely as nice... honestly, mine don't get much sun and I left them in pots on the porch... and they were a steal at $0.99 for a 6" pot at Home depot because I had to save them from HD! LOL

:lol:

Oh well, they aren't going to make it here much longer.
Are these a recent purchase that were in bloom? Or were these left over from last year and grew in a pot all year?

If they are a recent purchase and now look ugly because the blooms were forced early and are now faded off, then this is when you cut them back and let them season out in the ground in the garden for next year. It's an ugly Greenhouse to Consumer process really; but once they season in the garden they behave differently and even conform around other plants too. I find they are forgiving!

Ron :love

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ron
Are you saying that the left over Mums I see at these big box stores will probably be fairly easy to save? I'm talking about the ones they put out for the 2009 fall season.

I've seen quite a few of those that are mighty sad looking about now, and Ill bet they could be bought very reasonable.

THANX RICH

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
Ron
Are you saying that the left over Mums I see at these big box stores will probably be fairly easy to save? I'm talking about the ones they put out for the 2009 fall season.

I've seen quite a few of those that are mighty sad looking about now, and Ill bet they could be bought very reasonable.

THANX RICH
Exactly, it is not the plant or the bloom you want, it is the root! Obviously a dried stem to the soil is likely a dried dead root too, but the ones with nasty leaves and no blooms or just green sticks...those are the ones to get!

Just pop those roots in the ground and toss a few leaves on top like a mulch and they are good to go! Next year when you are clearing your beds for Spring you will probably see the new sprouts already then. They are quite hardy and very prolific growers!

Tell the store you will take the entire lot for $1 LOL :bun

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
dickiebird said:
Ron

THANX RICH
Exactly, it is not the plant or the bloom you want, it is the root! Obviously a dried stem to the soil is likely a dried dead root too, but the ones with nasty leaves and no blooms or just green sticks...those are the ones to get!

Just pop those roots in the ground and toss a few leaves on top like a mulch and they are good to go! Next year when you are clearing your beds for Spring you will probably see the new sprouts already then. They are quite hardy and very prolific growers!

Tell the store you will take the entire lot for $1 LOL :bun

A DOLLAR,
Man, you're awfully free with my money. lol

THANX RICH

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK one more Question.... Do you pop them in the ground now or in spring? And how would the Mums from a catelog work. I am sitting here with the Burpee at my desk and I see Tri Color Daisy (Chrysanthemums) that are just gorgeous.

Latest posts