Time for Chrysanthemum's 'Mums' to bloom

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

Yup, pop them in the ground now; water them as you would any other returning perennial.

I did get some seeds to some nice colors and they sprouted very easy, but the darn chickens ate them as soon as they showed themselves.

Beware the Mum snatching chickens! Mine leave the adult plants alone darnit. I lost the entire pack of seeds!

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Ron, you have all my sympathy! My chickens do just the same PLUS they also have a special extra sense that recognises the expensive, rare or difficult to obtain varieties...............!! :barnie :he.

I try to cover mine seedlings with my 'floating fleece' so they can't see the seedlings but they also walk over the top..............Hmmmmm!!! :rant

:rose Hattie :rose

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our local grocery store had fall mums and of course they are not treated nicely. Even so, on sale I couldn't afford one BUT on the way out the store I noticed someone had handled a couple of them rather harshly and some branches/flowers had gotten broken off. They are currently rooting in my greenhouse :cool: After all, they can't "get me" if the pieces were laying on the ground :happy_flower

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This morning after breakfast, at the local diner, I went by the local produce stand. They had a sign saying all "overbloomed mums" were $1.99 now marked down to $1.00 ea. These were in gallon containers. They also had large, probably two and a half ft. across, overblooms but they wanted $9.99 for them. Probably 10 of the real large ones and 50 of the gallon size.

I'm going back tomorrow, with a truck, and try and make a deal on a bunch of the small ones.

THANX RICH

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a little story of the Chrysanthemum that could! :bouquet

A season or two ago I took some seeds from a geranium as I was on a walk. I sprouted them and got two tiny plants. Their first year they did not bloom because I was growing them in my office at the time. I brought them home with all my other office plants when I left that job.

I stuck them up high on a shelf in my kitchen where I forgot about them through the the next year. Poor things! Oh that's right! This is about Chrysanthemums not Geraniums....but don't worry I am getting to that! :clap

This Spring as I was doing my housecleaning I realized there were two sprigs of geranium in my potted Pothus...oh no, I cannot believe I forgot those two! They were shriveled sticks!

I potted them, and set them outdoors! They bloomed very nicely and I am happy to report that they will grow to be fine Geraniums. However, alongside these two something else showed up.

Here are the pictures:

16b11yc.jpg

A Chrysanthemum showed up! Wow, but too bad they didn't bloom at the same time! Oh well, we will just have to imagine them together!

2uh64h1.jpg

dbgmsk.jpg

volxkl.jpg

qp3tkx.jpg

Well, I have never had this color before! It is not like my larger variety of yellows, whites, and maroon. I do have one that is sort of tan in color, but not this nice and pink. I also think this one is a dwarf variety!

If the plant could talk it could tell us how far across the winds this little seed traveled to find my home, what an adventure it would tell!

2cwr214.jpg

If you look very carefully to the upper left you can see my geranium has produced 6 seed pods! This means 12 new possible plants!

WooHoo! :woot

OK, that is my tale! Maybe I should say this is the story of a very "mixed" relationship that worked! LOL

Ron :coolsun

Latest posts