Tiny bugs all over my raised beds

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we are talking about aphids, I've got white stuff underneath my kale leaves. Looks like very teany tiny eggs. The aphids I've seen on my roses are green but this stuff is white. Are they also some type of aphids?

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Take pictures and go to the internet to check what they are. You should also contact your closest University AG extension office to find out how to treat them in YOUR AREA. Your climate is different than mine and what I find out might not work the best where YOU are. Your tax dollars pay these people at the AG offices, so make them work!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we are talking about aphids, I've got white stuff underneath my kale leaves. Looks like very teany tiny eggs. The aphids I've seen on my roses are green but this stuff is white. Are they also some type of aphids?

Mary

you'd need a good picture of what it is to ID it, white stuff on the underside of a leaves could be bugs, but could also be other things.

as for aphid colors, i've seen: greyish green, bright green, black, white, yellow and orange. if they are white husks that are dried out that could be leftovers from ladybeetle or ladybeetle larvae eating. other bugs eat them too. ants often herd them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s bad this year.

Attachments

• 90937A53-9AE2-4E4D-AD14-80FD5A6B5E7D.jpeg
    90937A53-9AE2-4E4D-AD14-80FD5A6B5E7D.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 222

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s bad this year.

ah, yes, those look like the grayish green aphids i had on a rogue brassica of some kind (it should have been a cabbage but it was nothing but leaves). i ended up taking it out and burying it.

i'd say take 'em out and plant something else, the season is young. if you put an old sheet down before moving the plants you'll catch the bugs that fall off, bury them deeply enough too. fertilizer for the next plants grown there...eventually. :) i've never seen those type of aphids on any other kind of plant than a leafy brassica type and, well, i've only seen them the once.

Latest posts