Tiny tomatoes

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to try a homemade soil mix that I developed for my olive plants on tomatoes, but I do not want to grow a full size plant. In my cold seed storage I found seeds for Florida Petite tomatoes that were there for several years. It is said that these can be grown in a four inch pot, so they seem ideal for what I want to try. Out of the four seeds I tried, only one germinated.

At one time this was supposed to be the smallest tomatoe variety in the world, however, seeds for this variety are now really hard to find.

Florida Petite, the culmination of 10 years of breeding by three Florida geneticists, was the first truly dwarf tomato to appear. Its parent species were two extremely determinate(bush-type) plants, one with yellow, pear-shaped fruit and the other with cherrylike fruit.

The little plant grows four to eight inches tall and spreads almost as wide. Its foliage is dark green and the fruit is the size of cherries. The first taste can be expected about two months after seed is planted. Over the course of the ripening period the yield will be about 25 tomatoes a plant.

I don't think this is a hybrid, so I will probably save some seeds for future use.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew a truly tiny tomato plant last year. I can't remember the name, but it had very crinkled dark green foliage. It grew no taller than 6" and bore fruit, which was rather bland.

That's pretty good production from such a tiny plant Jack. It will be interesting to watch it develop. :)

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve,
As I recall these are small upright plants with fairly robust stems. They do not normally require staking, so they may be a problem if you expect them to cascade.
jackb

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a very interesting tomato. Never heard of one that small. I can't wait to see more pictures of it as it grows!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a very interesting tomato. Never heard of one that small. I can't wait to see more pictures of it as it grows!

Well, so far it is living up to its reputation, it is now two and a half inches tall and has two trusses with flowers. This would make a great project for a child but the seeds are almost impossible to find.
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be on the lookout for my first commercial, "Only $19.95, but call now and we'll double the offer!" :celebrate

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Full money back guarantee? How much is shipping and handling? How many seeds in an offer? Or are you offering plants?

The heck with padding your retirement fund, what a great way to send Ava to college!

Latest posts