Tips for cleaning windows

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been trying to clean my beautiful new windows, but I can't seem to get them non-streaky! I tried using newspaper and paper towels, but I'm not having any luck. What do you guys do?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

I was just noticing what remains of a sticker on the window of my backdoor. It has been there since we moved in, over 15 years ago! (Once said something about a security system.)

Using Goo Gone on it didn't do it, Kate. I just use soapy water and a squeegee on the outside and Windex/paper towels. Won't take the strange, transparent "patch" off.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
kate, I know a housekeeper who says she uses rubbing alcohol to clean windows. Maybe there is some kind of factory oily residue on your new windows.

And Steve, have you tried scraping the label goo off with a razor blade? Alternately, you could try saturating the area with olive oil and leave for a day or so. That works really good for me for jar labels once they have gone through the dishwasher. I can just rub off the label and all the residue with a paper towel after the olive oil soak.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, that glue has been on there so long . . .

I bought that Goo Gone very specifically for cleaning that window. I was assured that it would just take a swipe or 2 of a rag and it would be gone. Disappointed . . . doesn't matter much, the curtain on that door is never, ever open.

Yeah, I should get a razor blade out of the box cutter and try to scrape it off. Good Goobly Goop! What did they use on stickers 20 or 30 years ago!

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I've been trying to clean my beautiful new windows, but I can't seem to get them non-streaky! I tried using newspaper and paper towels, but I'm not having any luck. What do you guys do?
in 14 years here the windows have been cleaned 7 times....

might want to call the glass company that installed them and ask them...

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Peanut butter removes jar label glues very well, perhaps it'll help? If your window has some sort of low-e coating, has it been fogged by harsh cleaners?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Hire cleaning lady that does windows. I like clean windows, mine are done every week. The dogs leave nose prints all over them.
Nyboy, if you could teach your dogs to appreciate white vinegar, they might be able to lick your windows clean. Self cleaning dogs; now there's an idea! :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They might have come with a coating that must first be removed. I am not suggesting it but, when I got replacement windows 25 years ago the guy cleaned them with gasoline. And yes he was smoking as he did it. I don't know what kind of solution it was. I am assuming it was mixed with something as he did not blow up. Contact the manufacturer.

Latest posts