To open discussion

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not quite as stupid as my wife and some of you on this board think. I get it that some hate commercial AG and have assorted opinions of us. But when something is stated or linked, is it not open for discussion? If a direct question (not of personal nature) is asked, is it not correct to expect a direct answer? Am I wrong to consider it less than honest to state something that you know is wrong, when called on it, then refuse to answer but instead post 1,000 links that have nothing to do with question?

I try to be respectful to all people but not to all opinions that have been proven wrong.

Next time you think bad thoughts about AG, because of them, you pay less than 10% of your income to food. Rest of world--20-60% of their income. You have no idea how good we have it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
These organic vs. AG questions are likely to be a hot topic on a site like this. I think it would be fair to say, that you are biased in the direction of big AG. Obviously, this is the way you make your living and it is natural that you would support it- and are correct in pointing out that we pay less than other countries for our food...
Saying that you "know something is wrong" is not quite accurate. You are confident in what you believe and what you have learned, and you consider it to be true. However, that alone does not make something true. I believe and have great confidence that food that is grown in the traditional "big AG" field, is poison and I wouldn't dream of eating it. You and I are never going to agree on this. I read your posts and think about what you say. A fairly small portion of the population is interested or even aware of the differences between traditional and organic growing practices. There is plenty of room for big AG and organics on the grocery store shelves.
So often communicating with only the written word, causes problems. We miss so much without tone, and body language. Before I hit the "submit" button I always reread my post and try to imagine how it sounds to others...

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
seedcorn,

Keep posting. People are becoming more suspicious of the commercial food industry daily. I am deeply concerned about Round-up, which is used everywhere possible.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This topic again!? :barnie

I'm just saying... just saying....

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it just started out bad and went were we all knew it would. When you go out looking for a fight, well you usually find one.

I don't have a dog in that fight either, and I'm grateful for what we pay for food be it GMO or non-GMO. I grow the varieties I grow for my own purposes and thats really it. I don't think of TEG as a place for those discussions and I really wish they'd honestly stop. This is a gardening website I'd rather talk about heirloom tomatoes, and purple potatoes and see pictures of people rose gardens than argue about what Monasto is supposedly or not supposedly doing.

If you don't like it don't buy it. Worried about what something causes or does don't use it. If you have something your trying to keep pure, then take steps to keep it pure GMO or non-GMO. Simple as that. You're welcome to your opinion I respect that, but I also don't want to have to sort through that nonsense on here either. The internets a REALLY REALLY REALLY big place so search across the vastness and find a place where you can bang the war drums against GMO and Big AG elsewhere. This isn't the place.

Seedcorn I get your points and I see where your coming from. I don't know enough to have an opinion I just believe this isn't the place. I just hope the Admin will simply remove these threads when they come up so its no longer an issue.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, when I say something anyone feels is wrong, I desire people to point it out. Different opinions do not bother me at all. Failing to answer direct questions, instead going on with their rants, does.

Thinking I'm against organic is wrong as I have no problems with organic principles and support anyone wanting that. But I will point out problems with it--as most " organic animal products" are not fed organic. & point out $$$ problems for certain areas or production problems.

Don't like GMO, I have several people I work with that feel that way, no problem. Just don't make claims that are blatantly not true.

If someone posts anything, is it fair to ask questions & expect straight answers? Should I just not respond to posts that are wrong or attack AG? & allow falsehoods to go unchallenged?

Curious, in our industry we encourage out of the box thinking and free exchange. Yes, it can get sticky--get between conventional vs no-till or color of equipment, etc. we've seen more changes in AG in last 10 years than in previous 50 years. We are constantly evolving.

Jared, do I have this correct, certain issues should be banned here? Are all posts open for discussion? Really don't want to get into any other discussions although your idea of banning certain subjects is interesting and a different view.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Durgan said:
seedcorn,

Keep posting. People are becoming more suspicious of the commercial food industry daily. I am deeply concerned about Round-up, which is used everywhere possible.
Really not where I wanted this thread to go but I believe they are valid concerns--although I would suggest replacing round-up with chemicals in general. JMO.

So do you feel all posts are open for discussion, regardless of opinion?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live on a tiny lot in town. I grow a small garden in the front yard and use no commercial fertilizers or pesticides. We have become seasonal eaters and because of the mild climate, we can grow all year around. I have a few chickens in the back yard who get garden trimmings, kitchen scraps and leftovers. I try to live as healthy as possible. That said, I know the chicken feed I buy is formulated with GMO's. I would rather not eat GMO products, but they are now unavoidable unless I buy all organic (not available here) and pay a huge price for it. So I just do the best I can.

On the part of the farmer, trying to make a living, GMO's are here, they are what is grown now. Farmers have to make a living too, folks, so stop acting like they have sold their soul to the devil. There MUST be mass produced food so the masses can eat. Most people are so far removed from where their food comes from that they don't care anyhow.

And to those who agree or disagree with seedcorn, he has as much right to express his opinion here as anyone else on this board. Seedcorn, I might not always agree with you, but I learn from you and your input here is valuable, so keep posting.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something but I don't think Seedcorn has been the instigator of the controversial posts. If someone starts a thread that
has what somebody else believes holds erroneous or skewed information in it then it should be open to response. If the OP can't answer a direct polite question in a direct polite manner, than the person responding to the OP should not be the one blamed for a
"fight".

We are visited by a person who is pugnacious and doesn't come here to converse about gardening, their only interest is to stir the pot and supposedly "inform" and "educate" us.

Personally I don't mind the controversial subjects whatever they be if people can be respectful and not start name calling or get insulting
and condescending. And in my opinion Seed' has always been gracious.

Latest posts