To open discussion

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Maybe I missed something but I don't think Seedcorn has been the instigator of the controversial posts. If someone starts a thread that
has what somebody else believes holds erroneous or skewed information in it then it should be open to response. If the OP can't answer a direct polite question in a direct polite manner, than the person responding to the OP should not be the one blamed for a
"fight".

We are visited by a person who is pugnacious and doesn't come here to converse about gardening, their only interest is to stir the pot and supposedly "inform" and "educate" us.

Personally I don't mind the controversial subjects whatever they be if people can be respectful and not start name calling or get insulting
and condescending. And in my opinion Seed' has always been gracious.
My opinion also. It's not about the topic, it's about the attitude.

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Durgan said:
seedcorn,

Keep posting. People are becoming more suspicious of the commercial food industry daily. I am deeply concerned about Round-up, which is used everywhere possible.
Really not where I wanted this thread to go but I believe they are valid concerns--although I would suggest replacing round-up with chemicals in general. JMO.

So do you feel all posts are open for discussion, regardless of opinion
?
Of course. Opinion are not embedded in stone, but facts come close to being so. In my particular case, I am too ignorant to insult or get upset. I only respond adversely to stupidity, of which there is no shortage of in our society.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the issue of banning topics--that is not altogether uncommon. Many boards out there ban discussions on religion or politics because of the inevitable fighting that ensues. BYC bans any mention of PETA. Perhaps there are subject matters that should be banned on here too.

I don't see how any of those conversations on here are productive. Although you're right, Seedcorn--you technically should be able to present your side of the story when these things come up; however, I don't believe the OP will hear it or tolerate it and inevitably it all turns ugly. What aggravates me is someone who ONLY uses this forum for a soapbox.

Just because the internet affords us anonymity doesn't mean we should forget to treat people with respect and civility.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
1sm389Grandpa.gif

I would love to convince ALL of you to my way of thinking on social disputes and governmental policy. It won't happen.

People's minds are changed through observation and not through argument. ~ Will Rogers

About the best we can hope for is that exposure to a different way of thinking, a different way of doing things, will catch someone's attention long enough that she or he will observe. This is a forum about gardening - doing. How we think about the environment, about food and about gardening comes through with what we post about gardening. Hammering people over the head about what we think won't change their minds.

I value being exposed to different ways of thinking and doing. I am willing to observe but don't expect me to decide to leap from one side of an issue to another based solely on the weight of your arguments. And, I will look for arguments somewhere other than on a gardening forum.

Steve

Untitled.jpg

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't see how any of those conversations on here are productive. Although you're right, Seedcorn--you technically should be able to present your side of the story when these things come up; however, I don't believe the OP will hear it or tolerate it and inevitably it all turns ugly. What aggravates me is someone who ONLY uses this forum for a soapbox
This is exactly what I was getting at. The OP was looking for a fight and when she got one, well we saw the result. I would have been perfectly ok with the original post being removed and avoiding all the problems from the get go. That's just me. It was geared to rile people up and get them upset. That's why I took such issue with it. I don't see the difference between that thread and me starting a thread that says __________is a &%@$!* and couldn't find their #@%$&! with both hands if it itched. Its the intent behind the post is why I wanted it banned Seedcorn.

Seedcorn you had every right to argue it, and I was impressed with how you handled it. However I would rather it not even get to that point by deleting it and a message send to the OP about those kinds of threads. We manage to police ourselves pretty good here and I hate to have something come to that but really nothing good was going to come of it. I still respect and value your insight and experience so please don't think I'm coming down on you. My frustration is with the OP.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So if several of us bring a potentially inflamatory post to the attention of the moderator, will they remove it? It's not that I don't want to talk about controversial issues, but I find most of the sensational headline stuff has no basis in fact, or at least very little. All it does is raise hackles.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are threads that I never open. I'm sorry. I am not an expert on much of anything. Some plants will not be able take root here. Not every subject holds an interest . . .

I once posted a question about sniffing the carton of old milk. I've got a great sense of smell. Something has to work . . . But, that means I avoid a stink. Reading the most recent thread only came hours before this thread popped up. I'm interested in you guys! What was it that you all were going on about?! bing! bing! bing!

Read or not, it doesn't mean I am not in agreement or that I am in agreement. It is just that I suspect a stink. I'm sorry all around but as I say, if I want to be engaged in arguments, I will look for them elsewhere, not in garden forums.

We are left pretty much on our own. Elsewhere, I know of a very disengaged forum administrator who apparently brooks absolutely no conflict. Any disagreement gets one or the other, banned. It could be that she just flips a coin. Some folks were mighty offended.

Another forum had an administrator who was real hands-on. I joined that one. The writing was on the wall in no time. The admin was all bluff & blunder - testy. Within about 3 years, he took his marbles and went home! I couldn't even figure out what happened. It was - "the guilty parties know who they are - forum closed." What?! I think he just really didn't care.

Some of the disenfranchised folks began anew with another forum (#3). The admin there seems to be suffering from some sort of us/them paranoia. He seems to be the most disenfranchised of the group! Weird and not in a good way. I'm just lurking but after about 2 years, the regular members there act like they are tip-toeing thru a psychiatric ward . . . Yippee skippy! Thanks but no thanks.

I'm glad Rob gives us so much latitude. We can click that link on the lower right of a post. Things happen, there is some oversight but I almost feel like we are self-regulated. That's not a bad feeling compared to how those other forums are run, and run into the ground.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm always ready to hear from those who disagree with my viewpoint. You can't learn anything new from someone who agrees with you 100%. I do,however, ask that they present facts or well thought out opinions, not just insults and hot air.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
thistlebloom said:
Maybe I missed something but I don't think Seedcorn has been the instigator of the controversial posts. If someone starts a thread that
has what somebody else believes holds erroneous or skewed information in it then it should be open to response. If the OP can't answer a direct polite question in a direct polite manner, than the person responding to the OP should not be the one blamed for a
"fight".

We are visited by a person who is pugnacious and doesn't come here to converse about gardening, their only interest is to stir the pot and supposedly "inform" and "educate" us.

Personally I don't mind the controversial subjects whatever they be if people can be respectful and not start name calling or get insulting
and condescending. And in my opinion Seed' has always been gracious.
My opinion also. It's not about the topic, it's about the attitude.
Same here. I don't get into these threads because I don't know enough to give an opinion but, there always does seem to be an attittude with this pugnacious person. :hide

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been sitting back biting my tongue for a couple days, BUT, Southern hit on just the adjective I was looking for to use with any post I would make.
Pugnacious the perfect word to describe that poster.

I've never backed away from a good discussion, but anytime I see one of her postings I know it will be a battle of wiki's for her.

THANX RICH

Latest posts